Lady Aztecs fall to Bruins and Pepperdine 2-0

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer
Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

Coming out of a recent draw against the University of Houston, the Lady Aztecs remained in search of a goal after attempting 36 shots against the Cougars on Sept. 8.

However, San Diego State had a difficult time trying to find the net. The Aztecs traveled two hours up north on Friday, Sept. 13 to face the University of California, Los Angeles.

Hoping to get revenge from last season’s NCAA third round matchup, the Bruins held the Aztecs scoreless once again. With less than 30 left seconds to play in the first half, UCLA’s sophomore forward Kodi Lavrusky took a 22-yard shot that fell in just over the hands of Aztec redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Melanie Vaughn.

UCLA tacked on another goal at the 84 minute mark in the second half. After a corner kick by the Bruins hit the crossbar, it was rebounded by UCLA’s junior defender Abby Dahlkemper, who kicked it in for the final goal.

The Bruins outshot the Aztecs 24-6 in this contest as they marched on to a 2-0 victory. This game marked five unanswered goals by the Bruins in their last two meetings with the Aztecs.

Two days later on Sept. 15, the Aztecs traveled to Malibu to face off against the Pepperdine University Waves. Though SDSU dominated the ball for more than 60 percent of the game, it still couldn’t buy a goal.

Pepperdine’s junior forward Lynn Williams was the only beneficiary of this game as she went on to score the only two goals of the game.

The first goal came when Williams beat two SDSU defenders and eventually Vaughn from 10 yards out. The second score came at the 71:33 mark in the second half when Williams once again beat Vaughn for the game’s final goal. The Aztecs had outshot the Waves 21-15 in this contest, with 15 of the Aztecs’ shots on goal.

After suffering a 2-0 loss to the Waves, SDSU is looking to get on the scoreboard tomorrow night at 7 p.m. when they host the University of San Diego at the SDSU Sports Deck.

Photos by Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer