Aztecs beat Air Force 1-0, lose 2-1 to Pioneers

Jordan Owen, Senior Staff Photographer

The San Diego State men’s soccer team battled its opponents into overtime for the third straight game.

Last Friday, the Aztecs beat the United States Air Force Academy 1-0 in double overtime and two days later lost to the University of Denver 2-1 in overtime.

On Friday, SDSU traveled to Denver to play against the 0-6 Air Force squad, who, despite their weak record, wasn’t a team to take lightly. After 90 minutes of high-pressure soccer, neither goalie had allowed a shot to reach the back of the net, causing the teams to advance to overtime.

However, not even an extra period could separate these two teams, so into double overtime they went. Finally, junior midfielder Henrik Synnes put the Aztec squad ahead with the game-winning goal from inside the box in the 106th minute.

On Sunday, SDSU took on the Pioneers and were again faced with a situation in overtime. After going down 1-0 in the first period, the Aztecs pulled even in the 72nd minute when senior midfielder Abraham Villon capitalized on a deflection by the opposing goalkeeper. Villon entered the Denver game tied for first in the Pac-12 in both goals and goals per game and now has 10 points for the season.

Despite tying it up late in the game, SDSU allowed another goal immediately following the beginning of overtime. This would prove to be the game winner for the Pioneers, handing the Aztecs their second loss in overtime this season.

SDSU fought and forced the opposition to make plays under intense pressure, but the Aztecs just couldn’t get the ball to bounce their way. With passes just out of reach, shots going wide and touches just a bit off, SDSU still showed their resilience and battled every single minute of the game.

The Aztecs advance to 3-4-0 overall. Next, they will have a week off to enjoy their annual alumni game at the SDSU Sports Deck on Saturday, Sept. 28.

Photo by Jordan Owen, senior staff photographer