A.S. Beat: Smoking ban and financial report

Smoking ban

San Diego State will be implementing a new campus-wide smoking ban after getting the green light from university President Elliot Hirshman.

The smoking ban was approved by the University Senate in April, but Hirshman has yet to approve it.

The university’s policy currently provides 12 designated smoking zones on campus. This policy will remain in place until the new police is put into effect.

The smoking ban has been under review by employee unions on campus, Assistant to the Vice President of Business and Financial Affairs Nancy Demich said at an Associated Students Board of Directors meeting on Monday.

“It’s been with the employee unions the past few months working out some issues, but it is moving forward into the implementation stage,” Demich said.

The smoking ban will go to a committee headed by Associate Vice President of Operations Robert Schulz next week to work out logistics, Demich said.

Read more about the smoking ban. 

Financial report

A.S. Vice President of Financial Affairs Mariah Kelly reported a lower revenue and expenditures than what was budgeted for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2013.

Revenue from Viejas Arena was $374,038 less than budgeted because fewer events than anticipated took place in the final quarter of the year, according to a report to the finance committee on Sept. 16.

Expenditures also dropped by $566,980, less than budgeted because of the reduced cost from hosting fewer events.

Costs budgeted for the Aztec Culture Project continue to be deferred as A.S. attempts to get the program past a financing impasse.

The project, part of a 2008 referendum, has been stalled since A.S. was not able to finance the project with the Chancellor’s Office as planned, Kelly said.

“We’re going to have to create a plan on how we’re going to move forward with construction,” Kelly said.

The purpose of the project is to present the campus community with a historically accurate representation of Aztec life through gardens, artwork and educational events.

Unspent funds for the project, including the $190,000 set aside earlier this year, are held in the project’s special reserve account until A.S. can devise a plan to begin construction.

Update: This article previously incorrectly stated that President Hirshman already signed the smoking ban. The article has been updated to state the smoking ban is still awaiting Hirshman’s approval.