Inventive art festival comes back to San Diego

unknown

by Ryo Miyauchi

University of California, San Diego will become part of Festival Village this weekend as the Without Walls Festival kicks off at its campus. The four-day art festival is presented by La Jolla Playhouse in association with the Museum of Contemporary Arts San Diego, UCSD and The New Children’s Museum. From Thursday to Sunday, the festival will hold many theater, music and dance performances.

For Thursday, MCASD will celebrate the festival’s first day with its Thursday Night Thing event on campus. Magpie Collective will perform the live construction performance “After Flight” for the evening. MCASD will feature other artists throughout such as Kate Gilmore’s “Off the Old Block” performance and Jacolby Satterwhite’s live-video installation.

UCSD faculty and students are among the artists in some of the festival’s performances. UCSD masters of fine arts candidate David Jacobi and student Sarah Wansley invite the audience to join their conversation as engineers in their short play “Cornerstone.” Wallpaper Performance Company brings the audience together with sound artists, light designers and live dancers in “Pause (for world creation)” to perform live on stage.

There is plenty more to do every day at the Without Walls Festival, including a great music lineup and “Counterweight: An Elevator Love Play,” presented by Moxie Theatre. The Festival Village offers entrance and selected performances for free. Tickets are needed for events, ranging from $5 to $25. Every event varies in price so be sure to check the website beforehand. From noon to late at night, creative fun will not stop during the four days of the Without Walls Festival.

Information about Without Walls Festival can be found at http://www.lajollaplayhouse.org/wowfestival/

ALSO READ: Weekend Picks: Musicals and Dance Nights 

Photo courtesy of Wendy Kimpton