Aztecs fall to Huskies, beat Beavers

Photo by Wesley Beight, Staff Photographer

Last weekend, the San Diego State men’s soccer team headed up northwest to face off against the undefeated University of Washington and Oregon State University. The Aztecs went on to lose to Washington 5-3 on Friday; however, they defeated Oregon 1-0 on Sunday.

Friday was yet another high-scoring affair for SDSU, which tied its second-most goals scored in one game. Despite their efforts, the Aztecs found themselves on the losing side.

It was a rocky start to the weekend, but there was a definite offensive outburst by senior forward Jordan Ongaro, who tallied a season-high two goals against the Huskies, thanks to assists by senior midfielders Blake Wise and Abraham Villon.

Senior midfielder Kevin Bick recorded a goal late in the game and led the team with six shots.

After last Friday’s loss, SDSU entered last Sunday’s game with a vengeance.

Villon recorded the game-winning goal in the 67th minute after displaying some fancy footwork and following with a fantastic finish from just outside the box.

[quote]“The squad played with an edge and (Villon) made a special play to break down a compact defense that made us struggle for more goals,” head coach Lev Kirshner said “It was a great win, and we’ll get ready to play the same opponents next weekend.”[/quote]

Villon currently leads the team with 17 points and with the help of senior goalkeeper Blake Hylen, who made several clutch saves in the final minutes, the Aztecs were able to hold on to the victory.

[quote]“Our attention to detail and mistake-free football was the difference today,” Kirshner said.[/quote]

The Aztecs hope to hold onto the momentum as they prepare for a rematch against the Huskies at 7 p.m. tonight at the SDSU Sports Deck and then against Oregon at noon on Sunday.

Aztecs fall to Huskies, beat Beavers