SDSU MONTH: NBC reporter stays close to roots

NBC reporter Artie Ojeda stays involved with SDSU even after his graduation in 1985, Hutton Marshall / Senior Staff Writer

Emmy-winning NBC reporter Artie Ojeda graduated from San Diego State in 1985, yet his enthusiasm for the school has not wavered.

Patiently waiting at Starbucks to start this interview, the “power bracelet” on his wrist is noticeable. Ojeda is an avid marathon runner, and on this particular morning, he woke up at 6 a.m. to run 15 miles. He assured that his running ability has never been better since buying the bracelet, although he admitted to being “unsure about the scientific benefits behind it.” He is currently training for his fifth Boston Marathon.

Ojeda seems to have been moving nonstop since his days in the early ‘80s as an Aztec. Though he claimed to have not had the typical San Diego State experience (he was married by the time he enrolled as a student here), he does not look upon this negatively.

“I think my wife is probably the main reason I had so much success,” Ojeda said. “She kept me grounded and pushed me to succeed.”

After graduation, Ojeda — a native San Diegan — strayed from the city where he had spent his life so far to explore and make it as a TV reporter. Unfortunately, this meant working at less alluring places. He described working in West Texas and Tuscon Arizona as “putting in your time” before choosing where to work as a reporter.

“When you’re young, you want to see what’s out there,” he said.

It was years before he finally moved back to California. After relocating to Los Angeles, Ojeda won an Emmy for sports and a Golden Mic award for reporting before making the move back to his hometown, where he claimed to have found his niche and settled into the San Diego lifestyle.

Despite all his movement and accomplishments, he has not strayed from his roots as an Aztec. From the constant enthusiasm for SDSU by his workplace, NBC San Diego, to his friendship with President Stephen L. Weber, Ojeda still has a close bond with the school. More than 25 years after graduating, he seems no farther away from the school than when he was a student. His involvement with all things SDSU shows his true appreciation of his time at state.

On the morning of the interview, he is on campus shooting a promo for SDSU Month. It was his third consecutive year being involved with the event. He also recently finished filming the pilot for SDSU’s new TV show, which he hosted. The episode will feature interviews with Weber, men’s basketball head coach Steve Fisher and D.J. Gay. When asked if he plans to host future episodes, he modestly answered, “I would love to be involved if they asked me to be.”

His involvement with SDSU didn’t stop there. He helped plan a pep rally at the NBC station for last weekend’s BYU game. The thought of getting people as excited about SDSU as he is seems to be a huge drive for him.

“It’s an exciting time for San Diego State,” he said. “I’m glad to be a part of it.”