Weekend Picks: DJs and an independent film

Alesso at the Park

Fresh off the announcement of his “Uprising” tour, Alessandro Lindblad, most commonly known as Alesso, is ready to party with San Diego. He will be performing at Petco Park as well as Voyeaur on Friday, Nov. 15. Alesso is a Swedish DJ known for his moving melodic tunes mixed with on-point lyrics. This might be the beginning of something huge. Alesso has recently collaborated with industry giant Calvin Harris, releasing “Under Control,” a perfect mix of the two EDM powerhouses. At only 22-years-old, Alesso has become a rising force in EDM and I look forward to what he can bring in years to come. Don’t miss out on his tour.

Ryo’s Pick:

“Blue is the Warmest Color”

French film “Blue is the Warmest Color” has been a hot topic among film critics this year. Directed by Abdellatif Kechiche, the film follows teenage girl Adele (Adele Exarchopoulos) as she encounters Emma (Lea Seydoux) and the passionate relationship that forms between the two girls. Although it won the Palme D’Or at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival, “Blue is the Warmest Color” has been courting controversy. The main issues being its portrayal of lesbian and explicit sex scenes caused the movie to receive an NC-17 rating. It may be risque, but “Blue is the Warmest Color” should be one of the most passionate and honest films of the year.

Also read: Weekend Picks: DJs and an Art night

Photo courtesy of Sundance Selects

Ryo Miyauchi
Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor