Volleyball defeats Boise and Utah State

Photo by Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

Eight San Diego State seniors went out in style in their last two games on Aztec Court last week. The Aztecs defeated Boise State University in four sets on Thursday before downing Utah State University 3-0 in the Senior Day game on Saturday.

After dropping the first set 21-25 against the Broncos, the Aztecs controlled the rest of the match taking the next three sets 25-22, 25-21 and 25-19.

Four Aztecs recorded double figures in kills led by senior outside hitters Raegan Shelton with 16 and Summer Nash with 15, while junior outside hitter Michelle Waber contributed 11 and senior middle blocker Emily Harris added 10.

Senior setter Johnna Fouch had her 11th double-double of the season with 43 assists and 12 digs, and senior liberos Christie Ring and Courtney Vaccarello had 15 and 13 digs respectively.

The Aztecs were back in action two days later at Peterson Gym. The seniors were honored before taking three sets to defeat Utah State in set scores of 25-19, 25-21 and 25-18.

Senior defensive specialist Kyla Oropeza said the eight seniors made a pact before the game against Utah State to play for each other and to go out strong.

[quote]“The win was unlike any other win this season,” Oropeza said. “Immediately after the first few plays, I knew we were going to have a great game. Everything flowed, the energy was through the roof and our love for one another definitely showed.”[/quote]

All eight of the seniors shared time on the court to contribute to the victory, led again by Shelton and Nash with 17 and 14 kills respectively. Ring took control defensively with 18 digs, while Vaccarello contributed 13.

Fouch finished with 44 assists, five digs, three kills, a pair of blocks and a service ace in her final game in Peterson Gym. Harris added five kills and four blocks. Oropeza contributed two digs and two assists, while senior defensive specialist Justine Ricigliano ended with seven digs and two service aces.

The Aztecs face conference leader Colorado State University and the University of Wyoming this week in the final games of the season.

Oropeza said that the Aztecs have a chance against the undefeated Rams if they have the same attitude and mentality as they did in their last two games.

[quote]“We have absolutely nothing to lose and no pressure whatsoever,” Oropeza said. “If we play together as a team with a competitive intensity, we will win. I don’t doubt it. We want this one more than any game on our schedule and more importantly, we believe we can do it.”[/quote]

Volleyball defeats Boise and Utah State