The Daily Aztec’s local shop guide

The Daily Aztecs local shop guide

Harlequin Boutique

Harlequin Boutique opened in June, and it has quickly established itself as a prominent boutique for fashion, accessories and home decor. Located in the heart of Hillcrest, Harlequin offers a vibe similar to Urban Outfitters, yet has competitive prices and an intimate atmosphere. The boutique carries products from around the globe, carefully chosen and purchased by the shop’s owners. San Diego’s locally owned Harlequin Boutique boasts unique finds and affordable apparel for those seeking clothing that reflects their personality.

5&A Dime

Located in the Gaslamp, 5&A Dime is a swanky boutique for men who want a little swag. The boutique offers primarily men’s clothing and accessories, in addition to a smaller selection of home decor. The shop is designed for those frequenting the urban street or skate-wear look, with a collection of graphic T-shirts from their own 5&A Dime brand, as well as local and major streetwear brands. 5&A Dime has solidified itself in the San Diego streetwear scene since 2006 and has transformed into a shop that incorporates local ideals with large brands for casual, yet high-profile apparel.

Brandy Melville

Brandy Melville, located in Pacific Beach, encapsulates casual California attire for any occasion. Brandy Melville is similar to Forever 21, but with more of an edge. It offers women’s clothing and accessories on a wide range of styles and trends, though most clothing is classic enough to be incorporated into any wardrobe. However, new shoppers be warned: Most clothing at Brandy Melville is  “one size fits most,” and thus, some shoppers may be unable to find the perfect fit. Regardless, Brandy Melville apparel is a perfect addition to the wardrobe of any style seeker.

Mint

A light green building in the heart of Hillcrest, the aptly named Mint is an independently owned shoe store. Mint offers men’s and women’s shoes for virtually any occasion from casual to formal. Established in 2002, Mint was founded to bring San Diegans an alternative to finding unique, high-quality footwear. From high-tops to high heels, Mint has every shoe for every personality. The store’s funky interior and quirky signs contribute not only to the Hillcrest neighborhood, but the atmosphere of a shop that gives consumers a different experience from the blandness of a Famous Footwear.

Kelly Hillock, Editor in Chief
Kelly Hillock is the editor in chief for The Daily Aztec for the 2015-16 academic year. She is a senior studying  public relations and English here at San Diego State. Previously, Kelly served in many roles at The Daily Aztec, such as the features editor, public relations specialist, copy editor and senior staff writer. For questions or comments, contact Kelly at editor@thedailyaztec.com
The Daily Aztec’s local shop guide