Student orgs brighten end of semester

Courthouse Tour 

Last week, the San Diego State Pre-Law Society toured the El Cajon courthouse with former Aztec Judge Eddie Sturgeon to learn more about law and the judicial system.

“The most memorable moment for me was sitting in on a verdict during a criminal trial,” Pre-Law Society President Janelle Alisuag said. “To see all of it happen before you is so different than reading about it in books and hearing about it from speakers.”

The Pre-Law Society is a student-run organization that allows undergraduates to learn about various opportunities within the field of law.

Improv Show 

The Iota Eta Pi Improv team will be hosting a finals week themed improv comedy show at 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Experimental Theater. The event is free and doors will open at 7:30 p.m.

Iota Eta Pi Improv Team Captain David Butler described improvisation as “a mixture of comedy and spontaneity.”

“The audience can definitely expect to laugh,” Butler said. “Imagine a play with no sets, no props, no director and no scripts.”

Cross-Border Medical Clinic

The Flying Samaritans of SDSU will be partnering with physical therapy students to provide a free medical clinic for the community of Ejido Matamoros, Mexico from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday Dec. 7.

The organization consists of students, faculty, medical professionals and alumni. It aims to provide free health care to the people of Ejido Matamoros through monthly health clinics.

Medical, surgical and physical therapy services will be offered, Flying Samaritans President Ruth Aguilar said.

“Volunteering with Flying Samaritans and providing free medical care gives you the opportunity to change lives, even your own,” Aguilar said.  “From this experience I want to gain self-confidence and life satisfaction because I know that I will be doing good for others and the community of Tijuana, Mexico.”

Bowling for a Purpose 

The Psi Chi and Psychology Cub will be hosting the  “Special Olympics Bowl for Gold”  on from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, Dec. 7 at the Kearny Mesa Bowling Alley.

“This event furthers our mission to be socially responsible to members of society in general,” Psi Chi Vice President Andrealiz Afable said.  “Whether our members are volunteering to help put on the event or bowling with the athletes of Special Olympics, they’re growing to be more responsible of others that are disadvantaged.”

Proceeds for the event will go to Special Olympics of San Diego County to provide free year-round training for adults and children with mental disabilities.

Student orgs brighten end of semester