10 Things I’m not sorry for in 2014

10 Things Im not sorry for in 2014

As 2013 came to a close and 2014 approached, I started to think about all the resolutions I was going to conquer in the upcoming year. After reading a long list of things I wanted to change about myself on Jan. 1, I realized I had my own little new year at the beginning of the semester. Since I can remember, I’ve been one of those people to easily fall into the trap of feeling bad about certain things. Fortunately, this past fall I changed my ways. Here is a list of resolutions that I’ll continue (and you should too) to feel unapologetic about in 2014.

1. Not texting back promptly

This past semester made me realize something–I’m a busy woman. With 15 units of upper division classes, extracurricular activities and a 20-hour-per-week job, my cell phone was easily neglected. [quote]Some of my friends and family would get upset if I didn’t text back but I’ve decided working toward being the next Olivia Pope can be a full-time job. [/quote]As students know, class and studying can take up numerous hours so if you can’t text back the people in your inbox immediatley, don’t feel bad. Don’t even feel bad if you can’t respond back in 12 hours because you’re working on your future and whatever they’re saying (unless it’s an emergency) can probably wait.

2. Being single

When I bumped into various people this break, a common question that I noticed from the majority of them was, “Are you dating anyone?” The first couple of times I felt bad that I wasn’t. Then I realized, I’m a young college student and it’s OK if I haven’t met “the one” yet. Just because you’re now in your 20s doesn’t mean you have to start looking for your husband or wife. It’s completely possible to get married in your early 20s. It’s also completely fine to be single and dating or single and not even looking.

[quote]

As a millennial child, I’m okay with being a little selfish and continuing to casually date as many Mr. Right Nows as I please while I work on perfecting myself for my future husband.

[/quote]

3. Being a coffee addict

I’ve read the statistics about how bad coffee is for your health and teeth. I know that I would be a healthier person without my fix everyday, but to me, it’s my sanity. At the end of my rainbow is a pot of coffee, and my mornings shine once I’ve had a cup.

4. Taking a mental health day

Last semester, I was overwhelmed with midterms, the Grammar Spelling and Punctuation test and 8-hour shifts on the weekends. My stress level was hitting an all-time high. Usually, I would push through it, but I felt if I went on any further I would probably have a mental breakdown. I checked my syllabus to make sure nothing major was going on in class and called into work. Just because I wasn’t physically sick, my brain still had a little cold that needed to be taken care of. So if you need a mental health day, I suggest you do so. Sleep for hours, indulge in a series on Netflix, eat a carton of Ben & Jerry’s or go on a hike. Do whatever you need to do to be refreshed and back at it for the next day.

5. Not looking perfect all the time

Every time I scroll on Kim Kardashian’s Instagram, I get distraught that I can’t look as immaculate all the time. Then I realize that it’s her job to wake up everyday and have her glam squad spray paint her face. She doesn’t have to be up for an 8 a.m. class after pulling an all-nighter for a midterm. If I come to class not looking like my fullest potential, I shouldn’t be judged for it. Luckily, Beyoncé taught us that it’s OK to wake up like this, #flawless.

6. Splurging on yourself as a reward

I think for every major accomplishment that we have, we should reward ourselves. I’m not saying go buy a purse every time you get a C on your weekly Spanish quiz, but if you pass your geology final with an A after studying for 24 hours, you deserve that Nordstrom’s blazer you’ve been wanting.

7. Having an adult beverage on a weekday

Having a margarita on a Taco Tuesday in Pacific Beach or merlot with your girls on a Wine Wednesday isn’t a bad thing every once in a while. If you’re doing it in moderation and still keeping your educational life intact, there’s really no harm in a calmer version of your Friday festivities.

8. Getting help from your parents or family members

I hear a lot of my friends express to me about how guilty they feel about having their parents help them with rent and other bills. While a selfless nature is a beautiful thing that develops in adulthood, if your parents want to help and offer to pay for some things, I say take it. My parents help me out with funds that deal with school because they believe they’re also invested in my education. So if Mom and Dad are okay with taking care of you for this short time in your life, let them, because sooner than later you’ll be taking care of them with the money your degree will provide.

9. Speaking up about how you truly feel  

I learned the hard way that you have to speak up and demand the respect you deserve. If you want that position, express it to the manager. If you’re not interested in that obnoxious person that keeps talking to you at the bar, tell them. If you don’t get something your professor is teaching, be that student and raise your hand. No one will ever know how you feel if you keep your thoughts in your head.

10. Being me and all the flaws that come along with it

I can be grumpy, anxious, dramatic, messy and naïve. But, I can also be funny, fearless, witty, creative and kind. My waist isn’t as small as I would like it to be, but I also think I have desirable Angelina Jolie lips. [quote]With every negative flaw, there’s a beauty in the breakdown.[/quote] The older that I get, the more I realize I’m who I am and I shouldn’t change things about myself that others don’t see as admirable. Accepting yourself is one of the most challenging things that humans deal with. The closer you are to coming to terms with who you are, the more at peace you’ll be with yourself and relentless of the actions that you have.

10 Things I’m not sorry for in 2014