Know your city, make it an SD year

Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor
    Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor

Study at the San Diego Public Library

A New Year’s resolution to study more this semester can be calculated with great time management and a great location. When and where we study is the key to staying on track with our routines. The new downtown San Diego Public Library opened downtown last year on Sept. 30, offering students a great location to study in the heart of the city. This library offers students and the rest of the community with meeting rooms, a homework help center and a great number of books and references for research. This new semester, students should up the ante and venture off of campus for their studying needs.

Create a chance on campus with A.S. elections

Spring semester calls for one big event. No, it’s not GreenFest 2014, it’s the Associated Students elections in March. This year the race to election season has an early start, with the application period for candidates opening up on Jan. 24.

Some of the general election open seats ready to be filled include the A.S. Board of Directors, Campus Life Council and University Council. There will be a four-day series of debates March 10-13 from 12-1 p.m. that any voting student should attend this year. If your class schedule doesn’t allow you to watch the debates on campus, be sure to pick up a copy of The Aztec on campus for up-to-date election coverage this year.

Get healthy at San Diego’s Cosmic Run

This year my attempt at living a healthier lifestyle is at the top of my to-do list. The reasoning behind my lifestyle change is the fact that I’ve noticed the routines I’ve tried to stick to have been boring. This sounds common for your typical college student; nonetheless, it shouldn’t be an excuse to make health and fitness unattainable.

I came across the Cosmic Run. This is a 5k course held in the evening where people can run, jog, walk or dance the night away and it’s coming to San Diego. This semester, let’s direct our thinking to trying new and exciting methods of fitness. The Cosmic Run and Cosmic Run After-Party will take place at 7 p.m on Mar. 22 at Qualcomm Stadium. College students shouldn’t have to give up on making fitness fun especially when they need it to keep up with everything else that they do.

Voice your opinion in the Mayoral election

San Diego’s mayoral election last year had many hits and misses. One of the most significant and unfortunate moments was the low voter turnout. The National University System Institute for Policy Research predicted that less than half of all San Diegans registered to vote will actually cast their ballots. Not only is this a reflection of San Diego residents’ poor voting turnout but it’s also a wake up call for San Diego college students’ political engagement.

On Feb. 11, San Diegans have a second chance to vote to determine the mayor of San Diego in the runoff election. If the names of the two City Council members David Alvarez and Kevin Faulconer don’t ring a bell, now is a perfect time to pay attention. With the remnants of last year’s special mayoral election, San Diego can finally move forward with its runoff election.

Know your city, make it an SD year