The top 5 items every wardrobe needs

It’s almost March, and let’s face it–almost all New Year’s resolutions are abandoned. While healthier diets and better grades may have dropped from your radar, your wardrobe may need a fresh start, and it’s never too late for an update.

After all the holiday hooplah, I sifted through my own closet, getting rid of any items that 1. Were out of style, 2. Didn’t fit or 3. Weren’t getting worn. I took two trash bags full of clothes to Buffalo Exchange and donated the rest to Goodwill. With the cash I’d received from Buffalo Exchange, I decided it was time to go back to basics.

Trends can sometimes be hard to keep up with. Each season brings a new must-have blouse or an of-the-moment hue. However, a handful of items stand the test of time and are closet staples.

If you don’t already have these items in your wardrobe, consider adding them immediately.

Black skinny jeans

It’s obvious to encourage owning a good-fitting pair of blue jeans, but people often underestimate the power of black denim. My suggestion? Grab a pair of black jeans instead of leggings next time you’re headed out.

Chambray shirt

Almost as versatile as its pants counterpart, denim, or chambray, shirts simply go with anything. Wear a chambray shirt by itself with a statement necklace or wear it unbuttoned and layered over a floral dress.

Combat boots

While these shoes are super trendy right now, they’re more than just a fad. The punk-inspired footwear is surprisingly versatile, and can be paired with sundresses, crop tops or jeans and a t-shirt. My favorite way to wear these time-tested kicks is with feminine items such as a peter-pan-collared blouse to create a look that’s both pretty and down to earth.

“Diamond” earrings

Marilyn Monroe got it right–diamonds truly are a girl’s best friend. They sparkle and match well with any outfit, whether it’s a ball gown or leggings and an oversized sweater. The best part about a shiny pair of earrings is that they can transform your everyday attire to something a little bit more glamorous. Plus, earrings sit near your eyes and will make them stand out. While diamonds certainly don’t fit within the typical college budget, cubic zirconia studs do.

Cozy cardigan

If talking about basics here, purchase cardigans in neutral colors such as navy, gray or black. Honestly, I suggest owning at least one in every color because not only will cardigans keep you warm, sometimes they’re the unexpected, finishing touch on an outfit.

From left to right: Combat boots from Journeys, Cardigan from Urban Outfitters, Cubic zirconia stud earrings from Nordstrom, Chambray shirt from American Eagle and Black jeans from Forever 21.

The top 5 items every wardrobe needs