Aztec clubs make plans for the new year

Chinese Lunar New Year Party

The Chinese American Student Organization will be hosting a Chinese Lunar New Year Party on Friday, Jan. 31 starting at 5 p.m. in the International Student Center lounge.

“Our goal is to increase the understanding and awareness of traditional Chinese and American culture by providing cultural and social activities,” CASO President Hang Xaio said. “We would like to introduce this festival to not only American students, but all the international students through this event.”

Monday Night Mixer

The Black Social Work Student Caucus will be hosting a Monday Night Mixer to kick off a week of events in February for Black History Month. The mixer will be located in the Templo Mayor meeting hall in the Aztec Student Union from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. for members of the community who identify as black.

“An event such as the Monday Night Mixer is important because it brings Black Professionals to campus for students to meet and find hope, possibility, and a reason to keep going with education and a positive future” BSWSC President Marya Edgar said. “This event will give students a path and mentor to follow in a similar field of work.”

The purpose of BSWSC is to address social issues surrounding the entire black community.

Dancing Classes

The Ballroom and Latin Dance Club is now offering bachata and Argentine tango dance lessons from professional instructor Michael John Saltus on Thursdays from 7 p.m. to 10:30 p.m.

“I believe that cultural clubs are important because they give you knowledge about cultures that some are not exposed to…” BLDC president Josue Quinonez said.

BLDC hopes to promote the benefits of Latin and ballroom dancing to the San Diego State community and create a social atmosphere where people can have fun while learning to dance, Quinonez said.

The bachata and Argentine tango lessons are sponsored by Queen Bee’s Art & Cultural Center, a multi-purpose venue in the heart of North Park. The center not only hosts events, but supports local musicians and hosts fundraisers for non-profit organizations.

Aztec clubs make plans for the new year