Baseball opens season against San Jose State

The San Diego State baseball team kicked off its season this past Friday when it opened up with a three-game series against San Jose State University. The Aztecs took the series, winning two out of the three games during the weekend, setting the record to 2-1. This was the first time SDSU faced a conference opponent in its first series of the season. The Aztecs are now first place in the Mountain West, before conference play begins for the other teams.  After dropping the season opener 6-4, the Aztecs were able to follow up with a 5-3 win on Saturday, and were able to erase a five-run deficit to come away with a 13-8 victory on Sunday.

Game of the Series

In the season opener, junior right-handed pitcher Michael Cederoth was roughed up, going 3.2 innings while allowing five runs, three earned, as the Aztecs suffered their first loss.  With much of anticipation coming into this season, SDSU didn’t want to wait long to get its first win.

The next day, junior left-handed pitcher Michael RoBards, a newcomer to the staff this season, got the nod and pitched wonderfully, going 6.2 innings while only allowing two runs, en route to a 5-3 win. Sophomore infielder Ty France and junior catcher Brad Haynal provided the offense for the team, both driving in two runs and contributing doubles to the attack. Sophomore right-handed pitcher Bubba Derby shut the door in relief, going 2.1 innings for his first save of the season, clinching the Aztecs’ first victory of the season.

Pitcher of the series

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Mark Seyler was only able to go one inning on Sunday after getting knocked around to the tune of four runs in the first inning. Head coach Tony Gwynn and pitching coach John Pawlowski were then forced to put their confidence in freshman left-handed pitcher Brett Seeburger, in his first collegiate appearance, to save the day in emergency relief. Seeburger came in and fulfilled his duty admirably, getting the win after going eight innings, allowing four runs and doing just enough to keep SDSU in the game.

Seeburger’s win gave the Aztecs their second win of the season also securing their first series win of the season. Pitchers aren’t often asked to go eight innings in their first collegiate outing, but Seeburger answered the call and delivered for SDSU.

Player of the series

This one was a no-brainer, forced to miss most of last season due to injury, Haynal opened up this season in a big way, garnering MWC Player of the Week honors. Haynal was a monster at the plate this past weekend, batting .364 with six RBIs including a three-run home run in Sunday’s game, which fueled the comeback for the team’s 13-8 victory.

SDSU was left with a big hole in the catcher’s position after losing Jake Romanski this season, but it looks like Haynal will help the Aztecs pick up right where they left off with his big offensive outburst.