Artist Spotlight of the Week: HAIM

Screenshot | Youtube.com

Screenshot | Youtube.com

Screenshot | Youtube.com

by Adriana Arce

YOU… Yeah, you!

Hey there! I’m Adriana, and welcome to my little music blog where every other week I will be sharing some amazing artists and creating specifically themed playlists all for you.  Now you might be thinking, “What the hell does this chick know about music? Why should I even give a shit about her blog for The Daily Aztec”?  Well you should give many shits (Not literally of course) because music makes the world go round and well… its pretty flippin’ sweet to find out about new tunes from someone who spends the majority of her free time scoping the web for great music. (What is studying anyway?)

I have been a musician for about 10 years, beginning with my love of marching and symphonic band (band geek for life!) playing the flute and piccolo.  It wasn’t until about four years ago that I decided to teach myself the guitar and ukulele.  I have been a lot more focused on those two instruments lately due to the fact that I enjoy writing music and performing covers of my favorite songs for both my loved ones and strangers through my Youtube channel (Which I shall possibly disclose at a later time if you bribe me with a Reese’s Cup).  This past fall 2013 semester I expanded my horizons and began hosting my own radio show titled “Late Night Goodies” for KCR, our campus radio station; which airs every Wednesday night from 10pm-Midnight. YES, I realize that is quite late for a radio show, but the idea was to give my audience chill study music within the indie, rock, folk, and contemporary genres.

So yeah, I definitely don’t consider myself to be an “expert” when it comes to music, but it has become a part of my DNA, and I think you’ll enjoy what music I’ll be bringing your way this semester, beginning with HAIM!

***

Artist Spotlight of the Week: HAIM (Pronounced like “time”)

Okay, okay, okay, so I actually HAVE heard of this amazing sister-act before.  I am not really sure where exactly… but it might have shown up on my Pandora at some point because the first track titled “Falling,” which is off of their 2013 album, Days Are Gone, is obscenely catchy.   And I mean really catchy.  I find their music to be pretty unique due to this dreamlike sound they’ve created.  It is quite reminiscent to 1970’s folk-rock beats (Ala Fleetwood Mac) mixed in with some 80’s electronic keyboard melodies that float in your head all day long on repeat.

The band consists of three sisters: Alana, Danielle, and Este Haim. These girls have opened up for a variety of popular bands such as Florence and the Machine, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Ke$ha, and Mumford & Sons.  That’s pretty sick if you ask me, for only having one EP out online for a brief period of time prior to “hitting it big” with Days Are Gone. “The Wire” is a great tune that headlined as a single for the album’s release in September of last year. But quite frankly, I think my favorite song on the album is “If I Could Change Your Mind” because it’s just a fun dance tune despite having melancholic lyrics that could possibly make you daydream of past lovers. Overall, the album is full of upbeat, head-bob, and vogue-worthy songs someone would catch you dancing to inside of your car at a red light (Yes, this totally happened to me this week. #noshame). Might I add how extremely cool it was that the music video for “If I Could Change Your Mind” came out this Monday after I had made the decision to showcase them for this week’s blog post! Yeeeesss! (Giddy? You bet.) This is pretty cool news because you can now check out these talented girls in action as they perform their song in true HAIM fashion, dance moves and all.  (Instructions for dance moves not included.)

Until next week, enjoy!