Look out for top issues at A.S. debates

Look out for top issues at A.S. debates

There are many things San Diego State students can count on in the spring semester, such as cheering on our basketball team during March Madness, that anxious feeling of graduation and summer approaching, and, of course, the sunny days that make this campus more beautiful than any other. Yes, each spring is like a ritual for us; however, there are some traditions that we tend to take for granted. In this case, I’m referring to the Associated Students elections.

It’s like clockwork. We get a few announcements via email reminding us that we have to vote for people. Then comes the campaigning–the gigantic signs in front of Hepner Hall, the candidates appearing in our classes to give their elevator pitches, and the t-shirts, key chains and bumper stickers that urge us to vote for one person instead of another. All of this has become relatively typical as the time for voting draws closer.

The sad part is that the A.S elections are more important to specific groups on campus than the student body as a whole. [quote]Let’s be honest: how many of you think the A.S elections are a giant popularity contest, and that it doesn’t actually matter whom you vote for? Chances are, you’re not alone in your thinking.[/quote] But considering the A.S positions make decisions that affect all of us, being actively involved in the election process can only help us in the long run. There are many ways you can do this, but you can start by attending the debates scheduled for March 12 and 13.

While observing the candidates, you’ll notice that while there is competition between two contenders for the position of A.S president, the candidates for the four Vice President positions (executive vice president, external relations, financial affairs and university affairs) are all running unopposed.

[quote]But not so fast, Aztecs. Just because some of the candidates are running unopposed doesn’t mean they automatically get the position.[/quote] If you hear what they have to say and you don’t agree with their stances on critical school affairs, you are fully within your right to vote “no” on the WebPortal ballot. If enough students do this, there will be a chance for a new election. Please keep this in mind.

Since the various campaigns are still in their early stages, now is the time to get to know the candidates and the platforms they’re running on. It’s essential to figure out what’s important to them because if their interests align with yours, you’ll be satisfied. If not, it’s better you learn that now. Here are some of the relevant areas to look out for at the debates and in the upcoming weeks.

Student Success Fee

This has been a top issue among students and school leadership in the last few weeks. A $200 increase of student fees has been proposed, and could very well be a reality for SDSU students in the near future. Students have made voiced opinions about the proposed fee hike with daily protests around campus, including in front of President Elliot Hirshman’s office. It should be interesting to see what the candidates have to say about that.

Communication with the student body

There has almost always been a disconnect between the students and A.S. leadership. It’s hard to tell if this is the fault of an apathetic student body, a controlling governance or both. One thing is certain–if we are to effectively manage this fantastic educational institution, we all have to be on the same page, and we can’t do that without feeling involved in every decision, every step of the way.

Enforcing campus policies

You do know that riding skateboards on campus is still prohibited, right? As is smoking, and a handful of other policies that are not being enforced. Since most of them go unnoticed and unpunished, what will the candidates do to enforce these policies? Will they try to change them so they are no longer prohibited, or will they ignore them completely?

Take the time to check out the debates this week. You might surprise yourself with the realization of how necessary it all is.

Photo by Monica Linzmeier, Photo Editor.

Look out for top issues at A.S. debates