‘The Sounds’ of early spring break are in the air

The Sounds of early spring break are in the air

What’s the best way to kick off spring break early? Obviously, by getting your groove on at a rock show. Luckily for San Diego State students, Swedish indie-rock group The Sounds will be jamming at the House of Blues with Blondfire and Strange Talk on March 25. The main act of the night, Strange Talk, comes straight out of Melbourne and has played various music festivals such as South by South West where the band was included on Huffington Post’s “30 SXSW Acts About to Break” list and Elite Millennial’s “25 Songs From SXSW That Will Be Stuck In Your Head.” They’re described by Rolling Stone (Australia) as “equal parts of Cut Copy and Daft Punk with pinches of Eighties pop. Strange Talk’s album is a fizzy cocktail of synths, breathy vocals and tinny drums.”

Strange Talk will be accompanied by The Sounds, who have been on the forefront of the music scene since their first album release in 2002 entitled “Living in America.” You can tell simply by listening to their different albums how their sound has transformed over time. In recent years the band has been associated with upbeat party anthems with a slight EDM twist. Their latest EP, entitled “Weekend,” captures The Sounds as they transcend back to basics. The album is full of the group’s trademark danceable indie rock, as well as some chilled-out, stripped down tunes such as the title track, “Weekend.” It’s rare to find a band that is talented enough to play music and experiment with different styles for more than a decade. Most bands that go through these transitions produce their best stuff when they slow down and make an album that connects back to their roots. The Sounds is one of these bands and they are at a pinnacle in their musical journey. For all music lovers out there, this will not be a show to miss.

Update: This article has been edited to mention that a quote about Strange Talk came from Rolling Stone (Australia)

Also read: Painted Palms lit souls at The Griffin

Photo courtesy of Per Kristiansen

Courtney Brown
Courtney Brown, Staff Writer