Aztecs survive against New Mexico State

Photo by Jenna Mackey, Senior Staff Photographer

Busted brackets, upsets, win or go home. Whatever you want to call it, the first day of March Madness second round games are in the books.

As expected, with drama anticipating for teams in this tournament, it took overtime for the fourth seeded San Diego State Aztecs to defeat the 13th seeded New Mexico State University Aggies, 73-69.

As SDSU led 32-20 heading into the half, the 12-point lead quickly disappeared.

NMSU owned the second half outscoring the Aztecs 40-28. As SDSU held a 60-57 lead with 15 second remaining, senior guard Xavier Thames turned the ball over on an inbound pass which set up the Aggies for one last possession to tie the game.

It was senior guard Kevin Aronis who stepped up for NMSU who tied the game up with a 3-point shot with six seconds remaining to send this game into overtime.

But in the overtime period, Thames redeemed himself as he scored five of his final team high 23 points, including two clutch free-throws to push SDSU’s lead to three giving the Aztecs a 69-66 lead with 1:25 remaining in the overtime period.

That was enough for the Aztecs to hold on and win as NMSU’s comeback fell short. With this victory, SDSU is headed to the round of 32 to face the North Dakota State University Bison this Saturday. The game time has yet to be announced.

Aztecs survive against New Mexico State