WATER POLO: Four wins make for perfect weekend at UCSD Invite

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

It was a good weekend for the No. 5 San Diego State water polo team.

In 48 hours, it beat three nationally ranked teams in the top 15, improved its record to 6-0 and repeated as champions of the UCSD Triton Invitational.

On Saturday, the first day of the tournament, SDSU advanced by beating Maryland and No. 12 UC Irvine. The Aztecs convincingly defeated the Terrapins 14-6 with four players contributing multi-goal performances and seven different scorers overall.

Senior 2-meter Erinn Greenwood led SDSU with four goals, senior driver and co-captain Jenna Schuster collected three and senior utility Anna Gonzales and sophomore center Ashley Novack both had two. Junior driver Melissa de Jonckheere, junior 2-meter Ronni Gautschi and senior driver Erin Lester all chipped in one goal apiece.

The win over the Anteaters was closer than the Maryland game as the Aztecs won by two goals, 10-8. Against UC Irvine, Gonzales added four goals, Gautschi and Schuster added two more, and junior co-captain Danielle Pelke scored one.

On the second day of the tournament, SDSU faced No. 8 Michigan. The Wolverines were the highest ranked opponents the Aztecs had faced this season, and they did well, downing Michigan 9-6.

Gonzales and Pelke led SDSU with three goals each, Novack and Greenwood both added two and Gautschi contributed one.

The Aztecs finished their perfect weekend with an impressive four-goal win over No. 9 UC Davis, beating the Aggies 12-8. Gonzales led SDSU once again in scoring, adding four more goals to her total, giving her 13 for the whole tournament. Sophomore driver Brooke Vessey chose the perfect time to score her first three goals of the weekend, while Gautschi and Schuster each added two. Greenwood rounded out the scoring, adding one more goal.

The most impressive story of the weekend, however, was the performance of freshman goalkeeper Kelly Campoli. Campoli did not play in the first win over Maryland but started the last three games and collected 36 saves, three steals and one assist.

With three wins against ranked teams in the Triton Invite, the Aztecs have beaten four teams in the top 15 and will be looking to make it five as they are set to take on top-ranked UCLA on Friday.