Crime on Campus

Police address person with mental illness

Tuesday night around 10:20 p.m., San Diego State police responded to a report of an individual disturbing the peace. Officers arrived at a private residence on Lindo Paseo Avenue where the person was shouting on a sidewalk bench. Upon arrival, police determined that the individual was mentally ill and SDSUPD assisted the person, resolving the issue.

Threats to KPBS

On Wednesday afternoon at approximately 2 p.m., SDSUPD received a report from an employee at KPBS, the public television and radio station located on campus. According to the employee, multiple staff members at the station have been receiving threats on the phone and through email. Currently, the situation is no longer a concern and has been resolved. The status of the report now reads “cancelled.”

Drunk driver near campus

About 1 a.m. Friday morning SDSUPD stopped an individual for driving erratically near the intersection of Montezuma Road and East Campus Drive. It was determined the person was under the influence of drugs or alcohol. The subject was arrested and transported to San Diego county jail for driving while intoxicated.

California Vehicle Code states that anyone guilty of a first-time DUI offense is subject to imprisonment in county jail for at least 48 hours but no more than 6 months. They also receive a minimum fine of $390.

All individuals who appear in court for intoxicated driving are subjected to a review from the Substance Abuse Assessment Unit. This team of addiction specialists is responsible for assessing the level of substance addiction that an individual might have. Subjects can then be directed to different levels of treatment.

Quinn Owen, News Editor
Quinn is the The Daily Aztec's News Editor.  Prior to this role, he helped manage social media and digital video production as the Assistant Digital Content Editor. Quinn has also been a Senior Staff writer for News. He is a Production Assistant for KPBS News where he works on the local  Morning Edition, All Things Considered and Evening Edition programs. As a journalism major, Quinn hopes to eventually work as a broadcast news reporter.
Crime on Campus