Baseball travels to Nevada for a weekend series

Photo by Kevin Serrano, Staff Photographer

Pitching

The University of Nevada, Reno baseball team is off to a lackluster start, going 16-14 so far, but one aspect that has been great is their bullpen.

[quote] “Their bullpen is one of the best in our conference,” San Diego State assistant coach Mark Martinez said. “It will be important for us to get ahead early.”[/quote]

For SDSU on the other hand, it’s been all about sophomore starting pitcher Bubba Derby (5-0, 1.99 ERA) dominating on Friday nights.

“Bubba has done well getting us going and setting the tone for the series,” Martinez said.

Junior closer Michael Cederoth has also been outstanding in his new role, tallying 12 saves and posting a .167 opposing batting average. The Aztecs clearly have the edge in starting pitching with Derby and Sunday starting pitcher, sophomore Mark Seyler (5-2, 2.48 ERA) consistently providing quality starts throughout the year. However, if the offense does not provide early leads, the Nevada bullpen will be a factor.

Offense

Sophomore third baseman Ty France has been tearing it up, leading the Mountain West Conference in batting average and leading his team with 30 RBI and 47 hits.

[quote]“(France has) been doing a great job managing his at bats, and producing for this offense,” Martinez said.[/quote]

The Nevada offense has been pretty weak this season, but a bright spot for them is junior outfielder Kewby Meyer who is the lone member of the Wolf Pack batting better than .300. Being that this is the second time these teams have played each other this season, pitchers have a better read on the batters they’re facing, which will be a factor in the series.

“Nevada is the first team that we have played twice, they’re going to pitch well, and runs may be at a premium,” Martinez said.

Prediction

Off to their best start in 15 years (25-8, 10-5 MWC) the Aztecs have been riding a wave of confidence that stems from making regional in last year’s College World Series.

[quote]“Winning breeds winning,” Martinez said. “This is a special group of kids—it’s not just one guy, it’s a bunch of guys trying to make a statement.”[/quote]

SDSU took two out of three last times these teams met, outscoring the Wolf Pack 17-7. One game to watch will be on Saturday when junior pitcher Michael RoBards will presumably get the start. He has struggled this season, posting a 4.96 ERA.

If Derby is able to remain dominant on Friday, and RoBards continues to struggle on Saturday, it will set up a pivotal rubber match on Sunday featuring Seyler. The Aztecs scoring early will no doubt be the key to the series, if they are able to do so they will take two out of three.

SDSU wins two out of three.

Photo by Kevin Serrano, staff photographer