JAM: We Are/She is…unexpectedly enjoyable

Trent

Two things I enjoy in life are unsigned artists and free music. The band We Are/She Is has fulfilled both requirements (Its members gave me their new EP for free at their recent Nooner). Therefore, it gets the sort of-honor of being the topic of my first J.A.M. post — please, cue the applause.

To be honest, We Are/She Is’s semi-acoustic show here at State was not very good. Still, the band gave me a free CD, so I listened to it, and surprisingly found it quite enjoyable.

Its sound is mostly fun and poppy, along the lines of the never-ending onslaught of electro-pop bands such as Phoenix. Still, since its EP only has two songs — covering a grand total of eight minutes and 25 seconds — it doesn’t get stale.

The first song “Young and Pretty Clean” is a simple, synth-driven pop song and not much else. Still, bassist/vocalist Jessie Meehan sounds similar to Brian Aubert of the Silversun Pickups — and the idea of a poppier Silversun Pickups is intriguing. Its second song, “Sweet Melodies,” is a more complete effort, with guitarist Merilou Salazar providing catchy vocals and some pretty neat guitar work.

If these two songs aren’t enough for you — they weren’t for me — I have some great news. After doing some research, I discovered We Are/She Is was once called He’s Not Gay and have two more albums on iTunes. While these two incarnations sound similar, He’s Not Gay has a nice ska twist.

We Are/She Is’s music can be found on Facebook, Myspace (yes, it still exists), and YouTube.

Check back here on Wednesday for the first Record Rewind, where your beloved J.A.M. team will review an artist from your past — or at least someone’s past.