Ingrid Michaelson heads to the San Diego bay

The talented indie-pop singer/songwriter Ingrid Michaelson will be preforming at Humphreys Concerts By the Bay on May 9. Concertgoers can also look forward to the performance of Storyman and Sugar & the Hi-Lows, who are opening for Michaelson’s shows from May through June.

Storyman’s unique multi-instrumental sound makes them an increasingly popular band. Mick Lynch and Kevin May are songwriting partners that make up the music group. The Irish duo has been most commonly compared to The Beatles, Radiohead, Simon & Garfunkel and Leonard Cohen. Both Lynch and May have been living in New York City for the past three years, and it’s there they submerged themselves into their music and developed their new album, “This Time Round.”

Sugar & the Hi-Lows brings the audience back to the past and creates a very old-school ambiance. Trent Dabbs and Amy Stroup, the singer and songwriter of the group, capture an era of music from the ‘50s and ‘60s and bring it to life on stage. Their vintage style and soft and sweet melody are what make this duo unlike any other band in the music scene.

Michaelson’s new album, “Lights Out,” takes a more indie and pop approach. The album exhibits numerous piano ballads and duets from Matt Kearney, Greg Laswell and Trent Dabbs from Sugar & the Hi-Lows. On Michaelson’s new album, songs such as “Girls Chase Boys,”  “Home” and “You Got Me” all express a sound unlike her normal soft guitar strumming music. Instead, these songs take a more upbeat and catchy vibe, and have become immensely popular since their debut. The Staten Island native has developed a strong and loyal following of fans since starting out in 2006.

Michaelson’s music mainly revolves around the theme of troubled relationships and wholehearted emotion and promotes the voice of women. In “Lights Out” she transitions her music from a coffee shop-like sound into a more electric harmony filled with the sound of drums, flutes and guitars bouncing off one another. This album clearly displays Michaelson’s ability to sing a diversity of genres and demonstrates her ability to push out of her comfort zone. Her concert in May should be a treat for her fans.

Also read: A big career with musical moments