Fire burns home near SDSU

by Hannah Beausang

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






A fire caused about $250,000 of damage to a home near San Diego State early Wednesday morning, fire officials said.

There were five people in the house at the time of the blaze. All occupants escaped safely, and a nearby apartment building was evacuated for nearly an hour because of smoke, San Diego Fire-Rescue spokesman Lee Swanson said. The Red Cross is assisting the displaced dwellers.

Fire crews were called to the residence on College Avenue at 5:13 a.m., Swanson said. About 30 firefighters responded, and the fire was knocked down within 25 minutes. Investigators determined the accidental fire started in a trash container and spread to the back of the house.

Swanson said the home, formerly used  by SDSU’s chapter of Zeta Beta Tau as a fraternity house, is now privately-owned as a rental property.

Officials estimate there is $150,000 to the building, $50,000 to the items in the home and an additional $50,000 to two cars damaged by with heat and fire.

Senior Staff Writer Jaclyn Palumbo also contributed to this report. 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email