Aztecs’ guide to finding the perfect pad

Photo courtesy of Thinkstock
c2photography
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock

It’s that time of year again when San Diego State students study for finals and count down the days until summer vacation. However, one of the most stressful things students have on their minds is figuring out where to live next school year.

If you already know you want to live in the College Area, the main questions are with whom you are living and whether you want to choose a house or an apartment.

Hospitality and tourism management junior Veronica Andrade lived in an apartment last year and lives in a house by SDSU this year. She said she prefers living in a house because of the increased freedom.

“Apartments feel very closed off,” Andrade said. “Whereas in a house, you have a backyard, a front yard and a driveway. In an apartment, you just have your door.”

Andrade said there are also perks to living in an apartment. She said she liked the proximity of the apartment because she did not have to wake up early to get to class on time. Andrade also liked the community feeling that being in an apartment complex provides.

But for Andrade, the downsides of her apartment outweighed the benefits. She said the larger square footage of her house is worth her money more than a small apartment.

Andrade will be living in a different house in the College Area next school year. Her rent is the same now as it was last year, and she believes she gets more for what she is currently paying in her house.

“You get a giant space, there is never a problem with noisy neighbors, it is more secluded and gives you more freedom for what you want to do,” Andrade said.

For many other people, the most important factor in deciding between a house or an apartment is the number of roommates that come with each. Typically, larger groups of roommates will live in a house, while smaller groups of roommates live in apartments.

Hospitality and tourism management junior Hannah Grossman said she enjoyed living with 33 girls last year in her sorority house.

“It was really nice always having someone to talk to and do things with,” Grossman said.

This year, Grossman lived by herself in an apartment. She said the transition was not easy.

“Going from living in the house to living on my own was a huge adjustment,” Grossman said. “I definitely get lonely.”

Now that she has adjusted to her apartment, Grossman finds it does have its perks as well.

“I really enjoy the independence and it’s cool to be able to take full ownership of your home,” Grossman said.

In the end, whether it’s an apartment or a house, it all comes down to personal preferences. Apartments offer amenities that houses do not, and vice versa.

Photo courtesy of Thinkstock