Aztec alums star in summer theater shows

There is a lot of promising theater that will be running in San Diego throughout the next few months. Lucky for Aztecs, a good amount of these shows will feature San Diego State students, staff and alumni. Here is a sampling of productions you might want to be on the lookout for during the rest of May and summer.

May:

“Mud Blue Sky”

Produced by the Moxie Theatre, “Mud Blue Sky” is a comedy that follows three flight attendants and a wild evening they have with a young pot dealer. Starring SDSU alumna Melissa Fernandes and featuring scenic design from another aluma, Maria Bane, the play will likely be hilarious and much deeper than one might expect.

“Happy Days”

Sledgehammer at the 10th Avenue Theatre and Arts Centre will give San Diegans the rare opportunity to see a Samuel Beckett play, “Happy Days.” Starring real-life couple Dana Hooley and SDSU alumnus Francis Thumm, it’s about a husband and wife living in a post-apocalyptic world. Be prepared for a strange and potentially fascinating evening.

“Twelfth Night”

The Old Globe Theatre and the Intrepid Shakespeare Company are not the only places to watch a William Shakespeare play in San Diego. The Lamb’s Players Theatre in Coronado is producing the classic comedy “Twelfth Night” with a 1940s Hotel Del Coronado twist. The cast includes SDSU alumnus Cris O’Bryon and Christy Yael-Cox, who is also the co-artistic director of Intrepid.

June:

“Milvotchkee, Visconsin”

The Mo’olelo Performing Arts Company at the 10th Avenue Theatre is known for not shying away from sensitive subject matter. “Milvotchkee, Visconsin” focuses on Molly (Linda Libby), a woman who is suffering from dementia. Instead of being a tragedy, Laura Jacqmin’s script is considered to be a humorous examination of this brain disease. Former SDSU costume designer Jeannie Galioto and it is co-starring SDSU alumnus, Olivia Espinosa.

July:

“Romance/Romance”

This isa romantic musical comedy directed by SDSU professor Rick Simas. The North Coast Repertory Theatre production involves two separate love stories taking place in Vienna and the Hamptons. It appears this work might make for a great date night.

“Les Miserables”

It’s great timing to have the Lamb’s Players Theatre produce “Les Miserables” a little more than a year after the movie became one of the most successful big screen musicals. SDSU alumni Kelsey Venter, Brandon Sherman, Krysten Hafso-Koppman and SDSU faculty member Brandon Joel Maier will all be featured in what will likely be a bona fide musical hit.

“The Full Monty”

Personally, this is one of my favorite musicals, and it’s not because nudity is involved. The adaptation of the Academy Award nominated film is about what happens when a group of unemployed men in Buffalo, New York, agree to perform together in order to make some cash. Co-starring SDSU alumna Melissa Fernandes, the show mixes both hilarious and tender moments with humorously profane lyrics. The New Village Arts Theatre production should do the dramedy justice.

Also read: ‘Spoonful’ explores addictions and demons
Courtesy of Daren Scott

David Dixon
David Dixon, Staff Writer
Since, 2005, when he became a writer for the now defunct Rated G column at the San Diego Union Tribune, David Dixon has been writing theatre and film reviews, interviews, covering Comic-Con, and other entertainment related stories, for numerous papers and websites. In addition to his experience as the Entertainment Editor of San Diego State University's The Daily Aztec, in 2014 he won First and Second Place in College Print: Reviews from the San Diego Press Club Excellence in Journalism Awards, and in 2013 he was awarded First and Third Place. Currently, David is a staff writer for TDA, a contributor for sandiegostory.com and a freelance writer for the San Diego Community News Network.