FOOTBALL NOTEBOOK: Hillman probable; Aztecs out for revenge

David J. Olender / Photo Editor

Edward Lewis, Sports Editor

The San Diego State football team will take on Wyoming this weekend for the first time since it collapsed against the Cowboys in last season’s matchup at Qualcomm Stadium. Take a look at some of the news and notes as SDSU gets set to travel to Laramie, Wyo.

Ronnie will run this weekend

Aztec star freshman running back Ronnie Hillman went down early in the third quarter last weekend against New Mexico with a leg injury and didn’t return to the game.

Luckily for SDSU, his injury was just a hip pointer and he should be ready to go this weekend.

“He’ll practice (Tuesday) and do all of that stuff,” head coach Brady Hoke said. “I’d be shocked if he didn’t play on Saturday.”

Hillman leads the Mountain West Conference with 121.3 rushing yards per game. He also leads the MWC in rushing touchdowns with 11.

Players have revenge on their minds

The media and fans have made a big deal about the Aztecs playing for revenge after they coughed up a 27-6 lead in the fourth quarter to Wyoming last season at Qualcomm. But does that game still have an impact on SDSU’s players today?

“We all remember it — it was probably the biggest collapse the team could ever have,” senior Aztec Andrew Preston said. “It’s been in the back of our heads since the season ended … We’re going to go out and compete as best as we can to win the game and maybe some guys, in the back of our head, we’re going to try and do a little bit more.”

Wyoming similar to BYU

Earlier this season, Hoke warned his team to not take BYU lightly because of its record. The Cougars were 1-4 and many pundits picked SDSU to finally beat BYU in Provo, Utah. But Hoke said they were a better team than their record showed — they had faced several ranked teams and played on the road in three of their four losses.

Sure enough, the Cougars came out and beat the Aztecs 24-21.

This week, Hoke has the same warning for his team. Wyoming is just 2-6 this season, but has played a grueling schedule including then-No. 5 Texas on the road, then-No. 3 Boise State at home, a top-35 Air Force team at home, then-No. 5 TCU on the road and then-No. 11 Utah at  home.

“We have a tough test with a Wyoming team that has played as good a schedule as anyone in the country,” Hoke said.  “They always have a good plan, and it will be a good test for us. We need to have a great week of practice. I like how our team has traveled to this point, but anytime you go on the road in conference, it’s always tough. We have a lot to do this week to prepare ourselves for a 60-minute football game.”

The Magna Carta

Wyoming quarterback Austyn Carta-Samuels is having a down year this season. He’s only thrown for 997 yards and has just five touchdowns to his five picks. But last season, he trucked SDSU at Qualcomm.

“We’re still trying to find him from last year; he’s running all over still,” Hoke joked.

Carta-Samuels had 51 yards rushing and one touchdown on the ground to go along with 246 yards passing and one touchdown through the air in last season’s matchup. He’ll have to be contained this weekend if the Aztecs want to keep their MWC Championship dreams alive.

“He’s really elusive and pretty fast,” Preston said. “He’s a smart quarterback who can get out of the pocket, but he still makes plays in the passing game even when he’s running around. It will be a tough test for our defensive line and linebackers, and even our DBs when we blitz off the edge and have to contain him.”

AT A GLANCE

When: 11 a.m., Saturday

Where: Laramie, Wyo.

Why to watch: SDSU will be looking for revenge after collapsing last season against the Cowboys.