Earthquake death toll continues to rise

The official death toll in Japan, as of press time, was 2,414, with some provinces expecting up to 10,000, MCT Campus

Reports from Japan say the death toll from Thursday night’s earthquake and subsequent tsunami in the thousands. The 8.9 magnitude earthquake — the largest ever in the country — hit the east coast of Japan, which triggered a deadly tsunami, killing hundreds of people instantly.

San Diego State currently has 16 students abroad in Japan and more than 100 Japanese international students on campus. All of the students abroad are safe and the university is offering support to any students who are on campus from Japan.

The official death toll is more than 2,400, but the number continues to grow and one province estimates it will reach 10,000.

The earthquake and its subsequent aftershocks have set off many other side effects, including a hydrogen explosion in a nuclear reactor and exposed uranium fuel rods.

The U.S.S. Ronald Reagan deployed last week to provide humanitarian aid to destructed areas in Japan. However, the crew was reportedly exposed to a month’s worth of radiation in just one hour.

Donations and contributions can be made to help Japan through the Red Cross International Disaster Relief Fund.

Earthquake death toll continues to rise