Success Fee passes in one college, denied by others

Last week, San Diego State students housed in the Colleges of Business, Engineering and Science voted on whether or not to implement the Student Success Fee within their college.

Out of the three, only the College of Business approved the fee.

Going toward more specialized career services pertaining to the needs of individual areas of study, the Student Success Fee was approved by 54.3 percent of the College of Business students. The other two voting colleges proved much less enthusiastic about the potential addition to the cost of their tuitions. In the College of Engineering, 56.2 percent voted against it and 72.3 percent of the College of Science denied the fee.

Dean of the College of Business Administration and creator of the Student Success Fee, Gail Naughton, expects other colleges will be more receptive of the proposed fee increase once they see the effect of its implementation.

A sub-committee, which will control the funds acquired from the students within the College of Business, will be formed immediately. Consisting mostly of elected student leadership within the college, along with faculty and staff chosen by the college dean, the sub-committee will soon begin to direct the funds toward new career services. These new services could go into effect as early as September.