Che Cafe extends stay after August trial date set

Previously faced for eviction and termination of lease on July 13, the Che Cafe was recently granted an extended stay. This extension marks a positive step for the all-ages music venue and its ongoing legal fight against University of California San Diego

The Che received an eviction notice in June after the University Centers Advisory Board voted to cut funding for the venue early in May. The UCSD administrators cited health and safety codes of the Che not meeting standards, and the Advisory Board voted not to fund the needed repairs. Fire sprinkler systems and fire alarms were items listed in need of renovation. However, the fire marshall signed off the venue in a follow-up inspection in April.

The decision to extend the stay came from a July 10 court hearing on a temporary restraining order against UCSD. A judge ruled the Che can temporarily keep possession of the space until a more full hearing on the legal merits can be held. The determining hearing is scheduled for Aug. 1.

If it all goes well for the Che in the next court hearing, the venue can remain in operation until a final resolution is reached in the breach-of-contract lawsuit filed by its attorney, Andrea Carter. If not, the venue will have to leave within 30 days. The fight’s not over just yet.

Ryo Miyauchi
Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor