MEN’S SOCCER: SDSU ready to make a run in final four games

Peter Kluch / Staff Photographer

Dan Perez, Senior Staff Writer

Head coach Lev Kirshner is stressing the number four to his team. That’s the number of games San Diego State has left that will ultimately determine the season as a whole.

“We’ve got these four final games and we need to play every like it’s our last,” Kirshner said. “These four games are what we’ve been working toward and what we’ve been prepping for. We need to make them count.”

The final four countdown starts Saturday with a game at Cal State Fullerton. SDSU’s matchup with the Titans could be a trap game for the Aztecs. CSU Fullerton is coming off a 7-2 beating by UC Irvine and will be looking to bounce back against SDSU (8-5-2).

“We’re heading to play a pretty tough team in Fullerton,” Kirshner said. “We need to focus on getting ahead early and not playing catch up and really take advantage of being able to pick up a win before finishing up conference play.”

The Aztecs are coming off a solid weekend at home that included a draw against No. 12 California and a 1-0 win against Stanford. The special thing about the win against the Cardinals is yet another different player logged a goal for SDSU.

“I learn something new from this team after every game,” Kirshner said, “We have had over 10 players record a goal and over 15 different players record a point. Someone new steps up every game and it gives us a lot of options. We keep improving and we keep getting better after every game.”

The last four games of the season will have a dramatic effect on the Aztecs’ chances of making the tournament and how far past the regular season they will be able to go. But one thing is for sure, SDSU needs to keep composure and stick to the game plan.

“We have a short week this week, with really only having two days to prep for the match against Fullerton,” Kirshner said. “With that said we have been focusing on as much as we can in practice, really dabbling in every aspect of the game. And hopefully we can turn practice into perfect and finish the season strong.”

AT A GLANCE:

When: 7 p.m., Saturday

Where: Fullerton

Why to watch: The Aztecs only have four games left to try to prove they are an NCAA Tournament-worthy team.