Five venues perfect for all-ages concerts

Being an underage music fan can be tough. Countless bands stop in San Diego, but they often play shows at venues where attendees have to be legal drinking age to enter. Fortunately, San Diego also has a number of all-ages venues hosting exciting acts. Here are four great all-ages venues to check out live music.

Che Cafe

Located in the University of California, San Diego campus, the Che Cafe has supported punk-spirited music for decades. Notable rookie acts who recently played at this small yet cozy spot include Potty Mouth, Perfect Pussy, and Pity Sex. Plenty of local bands throw shows there as well, and it’s a friendly place to connect with the San Diego music community.

The Irenic

This historic North Park church was renovated in 2011 to host local arts and entertainment. It’s been only a few years since opening and this venue already welcomed many indie rock heroes such as The Sonics and Fucked Up. Smaller profile acts such as Torrance punks Joyce Manor and fuzzed-out rockers Beach Fossils are scheduled to play soon. For indie music fans who cannot yet get into The Casbah, The Irenic is the spot to check out.

North Park Theater

Now under new management, the North Park Theater has already hosted few marquee acts in the past months such as The Naked and Famous. The Casbah lined up a nice selection for the next couple months including pop starlet Lykke Li and vibrant electronic band Tycho. The price range for the shows sit the highest out of the four, but it’s worth shelling out some cash for that level of top tier names.

Porter’s Pub

Despite the name, this UCSD venue welcomes all ages. This spot’s reliable for great selections of rappers and experimental beat-makers, but punk bands also play here time to time. Detroit’s current best rap talent Danny Brown rocked the stage not long ago. Twitchy dance duo Mount Kimbie was scheduled to come through last year. Coming up soon, rappers Brother Ali and Grieves will each perform at Porter’s Pub in October.

Ryo Miyauchi, Asst. Arts & Lifestyle Editor