[VIDEO] SDSU men’s basketball completes Ice Bucket Challenge

by David Hernandez, News Editor

Approximately 20 ice buckets were strategically placed in front of Hepner Hall around 12 p.m. today.

Moments later, the San Diego State men’s basketball team took part in the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, encouraging the SDSU community to participate and donate.

Head coach Steve Fisher and the coaching staff were the first to accept the challenge, allowing players to pour ice buckets full of water on their heads. The team’s staff then challenged players and members of “The Show” proceeded to drench them.

“It’s personal with me,” Fisher said, referring to the fact that his son Mark Fisher was diagnosed with ALS more than 3 years ago.

Senior guard Aqeel Quinn was challenged and reached out to Fisher to introduce the idea of completing the challenge as a team, Fisher said.

“Mark Fisher and our coach are pretty much like family,” Quinn said. “We see the challenges that he goes though every day … and it touches our heart.”

Steve Fisher acknowledges the fact that his staff and players hold a special place in their heart for Mark Fisher.

“It makes you feel good as a dad,” Steve Fisher said. “Mark is a valuable part of our basketball staff. He’s been that way for 12 years now. He’s going to continue to coach. It’s a tough situation that he’s got, but he’s handling it in a way that you’d want your son, or daughter or person on your team to deal with something that’s very hard.

Mark is at every practice and doesn’t miss a game, Quinn said.

ALS Association Greater San Diego Chapter members were present to accept donations and answer questions. Steve Bacvar, executive director of the organization, said the basketball team reached out on Monday.

Bacvar was optimistic that Thursday’s event on campus would give hope to ALS patients and their families.

SDSU’s chapter of Phi Delta Theta was also present to help the charitable organization.

Anthony Cazabat, vice president of the SDSU’s Phi Delta Theta, said many of its philanthropy events support the ALS Association because baseball player and member of the national fraternity Lou Gehrig passed away from ALS.

“You don’t often get to see how much this campus feels for organizations and causes … but seeing students, faculty, everyone coming together and donating for this was awesome,” Cazabat said.

The ALS Association has collected $94.3 million in donations since July 29, the national organization said Wednesday in a press release.

“I’m not surprised that we had a large turnout,” Steve Fisher said. “I think that talks a little bit about the Aztec For Life community and our students at San Diego State.”