Tar Heels stomp Aztecs’ comeback

SDSU Football Quarterback
Jenna Mackey, Photo Editor

The No. 21 North Carolina Tar Heels defeated the San Diego State Aztecs 31-27, in Chapel Hill, North Carolina, on Saturday night.

This was a tough loss for the Aztecs, who were in the lead for most of the game in front the Tar Heel faithful at Kenan Memorial Stadium.

Crucial turnovers from senior quarterback Quinn Kaehler, who completed 23 of 39 passes for 341 yards with one touchdown and three interceptions, sealed SDSU’s fate.

“It’s always disappointing when your quarterback throws interceptions,” said SDSU head coach Rocky Long via a Goaztecs feed. “Quinn is a competitor, he’s trying to make a play.”

Early in the second quarter, Kaehler was picked off by UNC sophomore cornerback Brian Walker, who ran it back 100 yards for a touchdown. It was the first score of the game.

“He’s a great quarterback, people make mistakes, you just have to keep your head up,” said senior offensive lineman Terry Poole via the Goaztecs feed.

Kaehler managed to keep his head up after the first interception, quickly answering with a 56-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Eric Judge. It was Judge’s first touchdown catch of the season.

On UNC’s next possession, redshirt-freshman backup quarterback Mitch Trubisky was picked off by junior defensive lineman Jon Sanchez, setting the Aztecs up in Tar Heel territory.

SDSU would not waste its good field position by scoring quickly on a 12-yard run by Donnel Pumphrey, giving SDSU a 14-7 lead going into halftime.

Pumphrey had his second 100-yard rushing effort of the season, going for exactly 100 yards and two touchdowns on 17 carries.

UNC opened up the second half with a missed field goal, which again set the Aztecs up with good field position.  The Aztecs marched 76 yards and capped off the drive with a 12-yard touchdown rush from Pumphrey.

That lead would not last long, as UNC junior quarterback Marquise Williams put together his best drive of the night, ending it with an 11-yard touchdown pass to junior receiver Quinshad Davis.

“They started to execute a little better,” Long said via the Goaztecs feed.  “I think our pass rush got a little out of whack.”

What happened next came as a surprise to SDSU, when junior kicker Donny Hageman nailed a 49-yard field goal, something that has been a huge weakness for the Aztecs.

Williams quickly answered though, with the third longest play in UNC history: a 91-yard touchdown pass to sophomore wide receiver Mack Hollins.

“(Williams) made a couple of really big plays scrambling with football in the fourth quarter, and he completed some passes too,” Long said via the Goaztecs feed.

Hageman would again come through with some big plays of his own though, sending a 40-yard field goal through the uprights.

That would be the last time SDSU held the lead, as Williams drove his team 80 yards down the field before a two-yard score by freshman running back Elijah Hood. The Tar Heels would go up 28-27.

“We were up, we shouldn’t have let them score,” said senior cornerback J.J. Whittaker via the Goaztecs feed. “They don’t score, we win.”

Needing to answer, Kaehler was picked off again by Walker, trying to throw on the run, which helped set up a 23-yard field goal for sophomore kick Nick Weiler, giving UNC a 31-27 lead.

On SDSU’s last drive of the game, Kaehler drove the Aztecs all the way to the UNC three yard line. However, on first and goal Kaehler made his biggest mistake of the game, throwing an interception to senior safety Tim Scott in the end zone, sealing the UNC victory.

“He under threw that ball a little bit, you give credit to the defensive back who made a great play,” said Long via the Goaztecs feed.

The Aztecs played admirably against the No. 21 team in the country on the road, but nine penalties, which cost them 65 yards, proved to be a big factor.

“At least it’s early, but it doesn’t get much tougher than this, this is a heart-breaker,” said Whittaker via the Goaztecs feed.

Worse news came post-game when it was revealed that standout senior wide receiver Ezell Ruffin broke his collarbone in the second half, according to Tod Leonard of UT-San Diego.

The Aztecs will now get a week off in preparation for Oregon State University, who they play on Sept. 20 in Corvallis, Oregon.

Tar Heels stomp Aztecs’ comeback