Aztecs extend undefeated streak against Huskies

Photo by Staff

Heading into the Nike Portland Invitational, the San Diego State women’s soccer team was undefeated when either a senior or freshmen netted a goal. That trend almost came to a screeching halt, if not for a second-half rally that saw SDSU come back to defeat the University of Washington 2-1, behind two goals by freshmen forward Aliyah Utush.

The Aztecs came out in the first half in Portland as helpless as they have been all season. It looked as if the road woes from a season ago would continue.

The red and black were not able to have any concentrated offensive presence as the Washington defense continuously staved off any threat in its half. For the first time this season, SDSU was outshot, 7-1, marking the lowest shot attempts in any period this year.

The Huskies made the Aztecs pay in the 41st minute when freshman Kimberly Keever took a shot just outside the goalie’s box to the far post, where SDSU’s junior goalkeeper Melanie Vaughn was unable to redirect it, and found its way to the back of the net.

SDSU began the second half with the energy that Aztec fans were accustomed to seeing and demonstrated the true potency of its offense.

It didn’t take long for the Aztecs to go to the formula that had worked for them so far in this young season—a freshmen goal off of a senior assist.

Senior midfielder Kelsey Booth setup Utush, after stealing the ball from a Huskie, where the latter sent her shot straight for the goal. Utush was rewarded with her first goal of the season in the 48th minute.

The next 40 minutes were a stalemate for the two teams, with the Aztecs logging a few more offensive opportunities. SDSU then took its first and the last lead of the game when Utush converted a corner-kick opportunity in the 86th minute of the match.

Washington did create a few opportunities in the waning minutes of the match, one on net that Vaughn had to carol in and another from point black range that fortunately sailed harmlessly over the crossbar.

SDSU took control in the final seconds to clinch its third straight victory.

This game saw the first time this season where the Aztecs lost the shot battle, 12-8, but did extend their undefeated streak to four after dropping their first game to Michigan State University.

SDSU will remain in Portland on Sunday, where they will face the home team, the University of Portland Pilots, to wrap up the Invitational.

Be sure to check TheDailyAztec.com for a recap of Sunday’s matchup.