Aztecs trail Beavers 14-7 at halftime

Aztecs trail Beavers 14-7 at halftime
Monica Linzmeier, Editor In Chief

If you’re looking for a stress-free game, don’t tune into Fox Sports 1. The San Diego State Aztecs and the Oregon State University Beavers are locked in a tight game, with the Beavers leading 14-7.

Senior quarterback Quinn Kaehler still looks a little rusty from the off-season, going 7-12 for 52 yards and an interception.

Sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey had a solid first half, carrying it 11 times for 70 yards and SDSU’s only touchdown.

SDSU looked great early on, opening the game with an eight-play, 75-yard touchdown drive on its first possession.

However, the Aztecs’ defense — specifically the secondary — made too many mistakes late in the second quarter and allowed OSU senior quarterback Sean Mannion to orchestrate an eight-play, 88-yard touchdown drive in the waning moments of the first half.

Injury news: OSU sophomore wide receiver Victor Bolden is out for the game with a dislocated pinky. He sustained the injury when the ball landed awkwardly on his pinky on a deep pass from Mannion in the second quarter.

Matthew Bain
Matthew Bain, Managing Editor
Matthew Bain is the managing editor for The Daily Aztec. He’s a senior journalism major with the Honors minor in interdisciplinary studies. His work has been featured in the The Daily Aztec, North Coast Current, SB Nation and Four El Magazine. He spent this past summer as a sports reporting intern with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Aztecs trail Beavers 14-7 at halftime