Aztecs defeated in sudden death

The first road trip of the year turned into an excruciating loss for the upstart San Diego State men’s soccer team as they were beaten 2-1 by a sudden-death goal in overtime against Florida International University.

Freshman forward David Olsen continued his rampant start to the season, scoring his team-leading fifth goal of the season to give SDSU a 1-0 lead in the 40th minute.

But the Aztecs would give up a game-tying goal from senior striker Quentin Albrecht at the death as FIU scored to send the match into overtime.

Albrecht then broke SDSU hearts eight minutes into the extra period as he scored a fantastic bicycle kick to drop the Aztecs’ record to 5-2.

Aztecs’ sophomore forward Forrayah Bass almost gave SDSU an early lead with just 40 seconds into the match, but FIU’s redshirt freshman goalkeeper David Mitchell was up to the task and kept the match scoreless.

The Panthers’ senior midfielder Roberto Alterio had a good shot on goal in the 10th minute, hitting an 18-yarder that the Aztecs’ redshirt freshman goalkeeper Adam Allmaras saved.

An ill-advised decision in the 40th minute by Mitchell gifted SDSU the opener when he came off his line. The ball took an awkward bounce off him, allowing Olsen to tap in for a 1-0 Aztecs lead.

Although SDSU had shown great maturity this season by closing out all of their one-goal wins, it wasn’t to be on Friday. FIU dominated the second half, outshooting the Aztecs 14-6 and 25-14 for the whole match.

Alterio played a perfect pass to Albrecht, who headed it past Allmaras. SDSU was then undone by Albrecht in overtime. The Panthers’ sophomore defender Marvin Hezel crossed the ball to Albrecht and the Germany-native’s bicycle kick flew past Allmaras for FIU’s second win of the season.

The Aztecs will get a chance for their sixth win of the year at 7:00 p.m next Friday when they’ll face University of California, Santa Barbara.

Aztecs defeated in sudden death