NCAA Southwest region preview

Well, ladies and gentlemen, it’s that time of year again: March Madness. Time to plagiarize bracket picks from Jay Bilas and (ugh) “Dickie V,” while you end up losing your pool to the sports-retarded girl who picked Wofford to win the national title because she liked the team’s name. Let’s go!

EARLY UPSET
One of the unwritten rules of bracketology is that you absolutely have to have a 12 seed beating a five seed. Happens year in and year out, and this installment of March Madness will be no different. This year, look for fifth-seeded Vanderbilt to be upset by the versatile Justin Harper and the Richmond Spiders. Although Richmond didn’t have the strongest non-conference schedule, the Atlantic 10 Spiders beat Purdue earlier this year and took down Temple in the Atlantic 10 Tournament Championship. Harper can score in bunches and make it rain from three, and Richmond is better than advertised.

BRACKET BUSTER
UNLV is heading into the NCAA Tournament after a loss to your San Diego State Aztecs in the Mountain West Conference Tournament semifinals, but Tre’Von Willis and the Rebels are playing their best basketball of the season. UNLV played the Aztecs tough, and it took a shot by D.J. Gay in the closing seconds to get the win. Before the loss to SDSU, the Rebels won six in a row, and are more than capable of making a big run in the Big Dance.
PLAYER TO WATCH
The best thing to come out of Morehead, Ky., is Kenneth Faried. An athletic freak who is being touted as a first-rounder in the NBA Draft, Faried grabs every single rebound he gets his hands on and will dunk on anyone, anywhere, at any time. Also, keep an eye on the UNLV Dance Team, which is smoking hot. Featuring future showgirls baring their midriffs and getting down and dirty on the court, these girls might be the most entertaining part of any UNLV game to watch.

MATCHUP TO WATCH
Kansas lucked out being placed in this portion of the bracket. The Jayhawks, with the Morris twins and an experienced backcourt led by Tyshawn Taylor, will own any matchup. It will likely come down to a Kansas-Notre Dame matchup in the Elite Eight. Notre Dame, with Ben Hansbrough being one of the most dominant players in college basketball this season, will give the Jayhawks their most trouble in the tournament.

NCAA Southwest region preview