Restaurant Guide: DaoFu serves up spicy dishes to patrons

Kristian Carreon, Staff Photographer

by Kellie Ferguson, Staff Writer

Across the street from Lestats coffee shop on Adams Avenue (a popular study destination for college students of all kinds) is a tiny restaurant named DaoFu. Upon entering the restaurant, the décor immediately creates an interesting feel. The walls are covered in the graffiti of previous patrons; birthday wishes, sketches, hash tags and dirty jokes. There are only a few tables, so the wait can be long, especially on weekends. Luckily, I arrived at 7:30 p.m. on a Tuesday, so I was seated immediately.

A complimentary salad of mixed greens, raspberry vinaigrette and some of DaoFu’s house-made tofu was served as I perused the menu. Though the dressing was slightly overpowering, I was thoroughly impressed with the tofu, as well as the complimentary nature of the salad. The tofu at DaoFu is delicious. It’s handmade in house, and is silky and flavorful- far from the bland, crumbly tofu I was used to. The cuisine at DaoFu consists of a mix of Japanese and Vietnamese dishes. A variety of vegetarian options are offered, as well as plenty of dishes containing chicken, beef and pork. Everything is reasonably priced, with the main dishes running around $10 on average.

After looking over the menu, I decided on the Tofu Rice Pot. They serve beer and wine, so I also got a small sake and a beer and found both to my liking. The dish was mix of white rice, tofu, mock chicken, and tons of veggies including zucchini, snow peas, carrots, mushrooms and broccoli; all mixed with ginger and garlic in a hot stone pot. It was nothing crazy, but I thought it was fantastic. The ginger and garlic tasted great with the medley of stir-fried veggies, and, let me reiterate, the tofu is really, really good. They do not use MSG here, and all of the ingredients tasted fresh and delicious. But be warned: the food here is spicy. The spiciness of each dish is rated on a 1 to 10 scale. As the waitress told me, a three is considered medium. I love spicy food, so I ordered a five, and I will admit, it was pretty darn hot. However, I still managed to devour a good portion of my food.

Following the meal, they serve you complimentary ice cream. I’m not kidding. It’s awesome. The ice cream was a small scoop of raspberry sorbet with fresh fruit on a plate drizzled with syrup. It killed the lingering burning on my lips from the spiciness of the food and totally refreshed me.

I left DaoFu feeling full, happy and with a nice box of leftovers that I thoroughly enjoyed about two hours later.