Aztecs trailing 10-3 at half in Fresno

SDSU Football Kicker
Jenna Mackey, Photo Editor

The San Diego State Aztecs trail the California State University, Fresno Bulldogs 10-3 after two quarters.

They have gained only 122 total yards and just 18 of those yards have come through the air. The other 104 yards are thanks to SDSU’s backfield in sophomore running back Donnel Pumphrey,  junior running back Chase Price and  junior fullback Dakota Gordon. Pumphrey has 12 carries for 54 yards, Price has six carries for 16 yards and Gordon has four carries for 34 yards.

Freshman quarterback Nick Bawden is making his first NCAA start tonight in place of injured senior quarterback Quinn Kaehler. Things haven’t gone too well for the freshman, as he’s completed just three of 11 passes and lost a fumble in the first quarter.

SDSU’s special teams has looked good all night. Senior punter Joel Alesi has averaged 43 yards per punt, junior placekicker Donny Hageman knocked a 24-yard field goal through the uprights and the Aztecs blocked a Bulldog field goal attempt at the end of the half.

Matthew Bain
Matthew Bain, Managing Editor
Matthew Bain is the managing editor for The Daily Aztec. He’s a senior journalism major with the Honors minor in interdisciplinary studies. His work has been featured in the The Daily Aztec, North Coast Current, SB Nation and Four El Magazine. He spent this past summer as a sports reporting intern with the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Aztecs trailing 10-3 at half in Fresno