Election 2011: VP of University Affairs – Mina Azim

VP of University Affairs, Mina Azim,  discusses whether the Associated Students is sufficiently transparent and two main goals for her term. Questions by Tom Hammel, Opinion Editor.

TH: What previous experience do you have that qualifies you to manage University affairs?

Mina Azim: Well, hello everyone, thanks for coming out, my name is Mina Azim, as he said. I have been an A.S. council member for about two years now. I’ve served as A.S. commissioner for two years as well. I have also been involved with A.S. for about four years now, since my freshman year on campus. I sit on the University Affairs board, and also one of the major facets a VP of university affairs oversees is Greenfest and I’ve sat on the Greenfest executive committee for three years now, so I’m really well versed in Greenfest as well.

MA: Well, hello everyone, thanks for coming out, my name is Mina Azim, as he said. I have been an A.S. council member for about two years now. I’ve served as A.S. commissioner for two years as well. I have also been involved with A.S. for about four years now, since my freshman year on campus. I sit on the University Affairs board, and also one of the major facets a VP of university affairs oversees is Greenfest and I’ve sat on the Greenfest executive committee for three years now, so I’m really well versed in Greenfest as well.

TH: What are your two main goals for your term?

MA: My two main goals are really just to improve our education at an affordable price and really give you the quality of education you deserve. My other main goal is to really get our voice heard on the Senate and at the University Administration level, and with that said, also to empower the students to really get their voices heard as well, and to really work with the administration to make our experience here at SDSU more amazing and also to increase diversity, sustainability and transparency.

TH: Do you feel that Associated Students is sufficiently transparent as a governing organization? What would you do to increase the transparency of Associated Students affairs during your term?

MA: I always think that in any situation, in any organization, you can always make improvements, even as leader yourself, you can make an improvement. Something I would do to increase transparency of A.S. would be to use more viral marketing. I mean, we all know how successful Facebook is in their efforts to get the word out to students, so I would look into matters like that and also to just get the word out there through grassroots marketing, in-your-face marketing, giving presentations, really just get information out there, even just maybe holding a blog or something weekly so that you can quickly read what Associated Students is up to.

You Decide – Should Mina Azim win? VOTE NOW