JAM: SXSW Live Blog – Day #4

Disaster, devastation, dilapidation — these were some of the alliterated words running through my head when I woke up at 4 p.m. It had finally happened. After some severe sunburn and other liquids that might have impacted me on the way, I was feeling Friday morning. My body was unable to function until well into the afternoon. I championed on, albeit not until 8 p.m. I still biked toward my next venue like “Braveheart’s” William Wallace riding into an attack — at least, that’s what it felt like.

The DoDos were first on my very short list for the day. Playing The Orchard showcase in the Cedar Street Courtyard, the band churned out much heavier tunes live than on their record. Playing to the open air crowed it built up a choral-like pace mixing drums, stick clicks and electric guitar that was quite easy to clap along to. Meric Long is superb as the lead vocalist for the two-man band, and while they’re just working with three instruments they kept the presence of a full five-set piece.

Another rockin’ Californian band later and I was in the company of the stunning Dum Dum Girls. Lead singer Dee Dee, along with her three comrades, looked straight out of the ‘50s in tight black leggings, vintage high heels and blood-red lips. And with names like Dee Dee, Jules, Bambi and Sandy, why wouldn’t they look as good as they do? Mad props to Sandy on drums, who would have pierced a hole right through the top of them had the set gone on two songs longer. She played hard and fast, managing to keep up perfect time with the upbeat quick tunes the indie rockers were spilling out onto the stage. They were the loudest set I’ve heard from a band so far and possibly the most infectious.

Across the seas for the last two sets on the night and you’ve landed in the Guardian showcase at Latitude 30. Esben and the Witch pulled immediate attention from the crowd with its opening number in which the band walked onto the stage, already echoing with eerie music. The light then faded to black and lead vocalist Rachel Davis eased out dark deep vocals. Throughout the set the band become louder and darker. And overall feeling of slight unease was cast throughout the audience when band guitarist and drummer Daniel Coperman jumped off stage with a drum and played from halfway in the crowd. Keeping a gothic tone to the whole performance the band definitely won the crowd over with the brooding drumbeats, key and vocals. Their performance was outstanding.

Next up a very fresh looking Bombay Bicycle Club. Hailing from London the band won a competition in high school back five years ago that propelled its career to where it is today. Playing hard and fast, the band quickly changed the mood of the room to a more upbeat pop-rock attitude. However, while its performance was energetic and well played, the gig jarred with Esben and the Witch’s performance, which very much overshadowed the more hyped Bicycle Club.

And that, I’m afraid, was my night. Although there were only four bands I definitely found some of the top ten of the festival to be reveal on day five. Hang tight for the next issue with a complete roundup of who was hot — and who was just sweating like a pig from the sun.

[cincopa AwBAwia0dVMX]

JAM: SXSW Live Blog – Day #4