Flying Lotus, films and falsettos

by Nick Knott, Entertainment Editor

Thursday, Nov. 13 – Flying Lotus @ North Park Theatre

Flying Lotus is known for his experimental productions and unique music, both of which he’s bringing to the North Park Theatre this Thursday. The producer released his latest album “You’re Dead” earlier this month, and it garnered major kudos.

Tickets are still on sale and are priced at $26 in advance. Those who slack on their ticket buying will be forced to pay an additional two bucks the day of the show. The intimate North Park Theatre is located right on University Avenue and an easy trek for San Diego State students.

Friday, Nov. 14 – Campus Film Series

The Conrad Prebys Aztec Student Union transforms into a movie escape this Friday for the next showing of the Campus Film Series. This week’s showing is the 2003 TV-movie “DreamKeeper.” The showing begins at 5 p.m. and runs till around 8 p.m.

Set on a South Dakota Indian reservation, “DreamKeeper” follows a grandson and his grandfather through their travels to Albuquerque for a large gathering of native people. Shane, the grandson, saddles up with his grandfather and makes the trip as a favor to his grandfather, all the while the duo share stories of their heritage and folklore.

Friday, Nov. 14 – “Ameilia Goes to the Ball.”

The San Diego State Opera Theatre premieres its rendition of “Amelia Goes to the Ball” this Friday Nov. 14 at 7:30 p.m. Originally composed in the 1930s by Gian Carlo Menotti, “Amelia Goes to the Ball” is a classic “who done it” type mystery set in the glamorous Hollywood noir era.

The opera is an affordable night out for students, with tickets only costing ten dollars. However, students planning on attending should consider arriving early because parking may be an issue due to the Aztec basketball game. But, he opera provides a fun alternative to those less sporty and are looking for a good show outside of this week’s men’s basketball game.

Thursday, Nov. 13-15 – Film Consortium Fall Film Fest

Balboa Park’s Museum of Photographic Arts hosts San Diego’s latest film festival this weekend. The film fest is jam packed with three days full of 22 short films, Q&As and even a red carpet.   The event will premiere multiple San Diego made films, even one produced by SDSU.

The three-day festival dedicates a day to each of the comedy, horror and drama genres.   Tickets for each showing are $12 in advance and $15 at the door. However, a weekend pass can be purchased for $35. After the curtain finally closes on the screenings, mixer events will be held that are perfect for local filmmakers to network with the best and brightest in town.

Also read: Farrar leads “Cult Rap” movement