NEIGHBORHOODS: Shopping deals and steals at coastal shop

Pacific Beach’s streets are lined with inexpensive clothing shops, enabling their customers to reap Copyright Jeff Lewis / Staff Photographer

Seaside shopping that won’t empty students’ wallets

By Rachel Verbits, Staff Writer

Shopaholics often face the tough decision of paying their bills or buying the newest items to hit the rack at the mall — until now. Pacific Beach is a mecca for shoppers who want cute clothes but don’t want to break the bank. While there are endless boutiques to shop at in this beachy San Diego neighborhood, the following stores are some that will leave money leftover for Ramen.

Just a stone’s throw from the ocean on Garnet Avenue is Pink Zone, one of the most popular shopping destinations in Pacific Beach for fashionistas on a budget. Clothes range from everyday wear to dressy outfits for clubbing at night.

Another shopping haven that won’t leave girls crying when they read their credit card statements is Madison, also on Garnet Avenue. Shoppers can’t help but notice the embellished tops and dresses with a special twist. These clothes are sure to make a girl stand out in a crowd, even on a packed beach.

Off of Garnet Avenue is Luella Boutique, one of the most recent additions to Pacific Beach’s shopping destinations. Located in northern Pacific Beach on Turquoise Street, Luella offers trendy clothes to a variety of shoppers. Owner Lori Arnerich spots every type of San Diego woman in her store on a regular basis.

“I have the young mom in her 30’s who likes to feel confident about themselves, but I also have the college girl who spends her whole day at the beach,” she said.

Many of Luella’s items come from the clothing company Indah, which ships in its beach-chic outfits from Bali, and the southeast Asian garb is right at home in this boutique.

San Diego State student Susan Goro likes the various types of style Pacific Beach shops offer students on a budget.

“I like being able to stop in at a store and know I’ll find what I’m looking for at an affordable price,” Goro said. “And if one store doesn’t have what I want, another one will.”

While some stores wouldn’t attract even the thriftiest of shoppers, these stores are diamonds in the rough filled with treasures waiting to be taken home.