Board of Directors approves mascot resolution vote

San Diego State’s Board of Directors approved the Associated Students University Council’s vote to reject the resolution to change the mascot on Dec. 1, ending the resolution process.

The UC voted 25-1 with three abstentions to reject the mascot resolution at its meeting on Nov. 19.

A group of speakers urged the council to vote in favor of the resolution during public comment.

“You should vote to change the mascot because it is discriminatory and racist,” international security and conflict resolution junior Sierra Marcelius said. “If we change the mascot we will be seen as a leader on a national scale.”

English freshman Camille Tiberghien was the only speaker that encouraged the council to reject the resolution to change the Aztec Warrior.

UC representatives were also given the opportunity to address the issue before the final vote. Representatives said a reason to reject the resolution was the issue of finances that would arise from changing the mascot, such as rebranding costs. Other representatives said the mascot should be kept because it celebrates the Aztec culture.

The A.S. University Affairs Board previously researched different aspects of the mascot and voted to reject the resolution as a recommendation to the UC.

After the vote, A.S. Vice President of University Affairs Corey Polant said the UC would continue to discuss ways in which the campus can represent the Aztec Warrior mascot in non-racist ways.

The Queer People of Color Collective proposed the resolution in October. The resolution argued the Aztec Warrior mascot “perpetuates harmful stereotypes of Native Americans.”