SDSU police arrest suspect in sexual assault

by David Hernandez, News Editor

San Diego State Police Department arrested an SDSU student today in connection to an alleged sexual assault that occurred this weekend.

The sexual assault occurred at 5074 College Avenue, according to the police department.

The woman reported the sexual assault to SDSU police on Dec. 7. SDSUPD Capt. Mays said the assault occurred sometime between Dec. 6 and 7. The woman identified the suspect and detectives investigated the assault, leading to the arrest of Francisco Paiva Sousa. He is facing charges of oral copulation with force and false imprisonment with force.

Sousa is in being held at the San Diego County Jail.

According to a community safety alert, SDSU police did not issue a crime alert for the sexual assault because the suspect was known and police did not want to jeopardize his arrest.

On Sept. 1 a woman reported being escorted to a bathroom and sexually assaulted at the same address on College Avenue.

This story has been updated. SDSU police previously incorrectly reported the alleged sexual assault occurred at the Theta Chi fraternity house. The student is not a member of Theta Chi.

The Daily Aztec will update this story as more information is made available.

One Response to “SDSU police arrest suspect in sexual assault”

1. mike on December 9th, 2014 10:13 pm

The italicized statement in this article is a little confusing and it may not be clear to readers that, regardless of who the student was, this incident did not occur in any Fraternity House. True, the SDSU Police Department MISTAKENLY reported that the incident occurred at the Theta Chi House and later corrected their statement to let the community know that it did NOT occur at that house. They never indicated the student was a member of any Fraternity, even in their first incorrect statement. Their correction read as follows: “The location of the incident was 5074 College Ave., which is not the Theta Chi House.” It appears that this had nothing to do with any Fraternity, did NOT happen at any Frat House and didn’t involve any member of any Fraternity.