Tunes that ease studying

Every student has their own way of studying. For me, some of my assignments require pure silence and single-minded concentration, while others require motivation to keep me awake and productive.

The music that can push a sleep-deprived student to persevere with their precalculus problems or Latin paradigms deserves special recognition. The following five albums are those that I have found to effectively carry me through treacherous yet successful study sessions. Hopefully they can be of similar help to you.

“X”

Ed Sheeran’s most recent album, “X,” which is read as “multiply,” is a reliable choice to fall back on. I can specifically remember listening to this album as I sat at a cubicle in the 24/7 study area of the library, trying to avoid looking at the inappropriate pencil graffiti and drowning in a figurative pool of tears as I realized the impressive new level of procrastination I had achieved. Thankfully, there is nothing that can soothe frazzled nerves like Ed’s perfect British vocals to whisk you away from murky water, either in a delicate manner with a gentle voice or more forceful, gravelly notes. While listening to deluxe edition of the album, I find it useful to imagine myself as one of the tireless dwarves of Thorin and Company —committed to my quest just like they were in “The Hobbit” as “I See Fire” fills my ears. If dwarves can persist, so can we, right?

“MY EVERYTHING”

On a different note, Ariana Grande’s album My Everything ranks high on my list as well. I think her name has become the permanent first option on my Spotify Web Player list of recent searches. There are a variety of song selections to choose from on this record, yet none too distracting to draw you away from your studies. My favorites are “Best Mistake,” for the slow beats and dreamlike quality of the song, “Just a Little Bit of Your Heart,” because Harry Styles wrote it, and “One Last Time,” because there is no match for the sweet contradiction of heartache mixed with a fast, dance tempo. If the moment calls for it, throw in some “Honeymoon Avenue” from Ari’s “Yours Truly” album for a solid five and a half minute vocal cord exercise. You deserve the mental break and it will motivate you to continue on.

“LANGUAGE & PERSPECTIVE”

One of my greatest discoveries in the realm of homework music is the Bad Suns’ album “Language & Perspective.” You’ve probably heard “Cardiac Arrest” on the radio, but who knew an amazing album lay behind this catchy tune? Its alternative rock sound is one that quiets your stress and brings you along for a ride of infectious rhythm that the combination of the drum and guitar create. Lead singer Christo Bowman (quite possibly the coolest name ever) has an echoing voice of relatively high pitch. It might seem as though you can’t swim anymore, but as soon as you begin moving like the ocean with Christo, all is well with the world once more. This is an album that generally remains playing on my laptop even after I have completed my task.

“MAMMA MIA!”

When it gets into the wee hours of the morning and you are the last of your roommates to still be awake at home, extra stimulation is necessary to keep your eyelids from succumbing to their own heaviness. “Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack” is the perfect solution. From the first track, the bright colors of the Greek island Skopelos and smiles of Amanda Seyfried and Meryl Streep flood your mind and instantly double your energy. Each scene that corresponds with a song plays out in your brain and an urge to sing along to the recreated ABBA hits becomes undeniable. I have found this to magically facilitate the calculations necessary to complete whatever assignment is currently at hand.

“2CELLOS”

Lastly, think of those classical types of songs your online radio recommends as the best music for studying. Some of the really lame ones are only good for putting any tired student to sleep. But if there was ever a suggestion that was not lame, it was probably this Croatian cello duo. 2Cellos’ self-titled debut album reigns supreme for the times that your brain is so done that you can’t handle the words that make up song lyrics anymore. Their lyric-free covers of songs you already love, like Smooth Criminal, “Viva la Vida,” and “Where The Streets Have No Name,” can turn a brutal homework experience into a wonderful one. There is something indescribable about rediscovering great music by means of cello. Announcement: they just released their third album, “Celloverse,” at the end of January. Personally, I am looking forward to my next study sesh just so I can listen to it.

You’re welcome for the approximate five hours of more efficient homework time. Now stop reading about it and put that Blackboard tab to work!

Olivia Litsey, Arts & Lifestyle Editor
Olivia Litsey is a sophomore at SDSU and an economics pre-major with an honors minor in interdisciplinary studies.  She started writing for The Daily Aztec in 2013 and is currently assistant features editor for the features section.
Tunes that ease studying