Women’s hoops gets bucked by the Rams

Womens hoops gets bucked by the Rams
Connor Guy, staff photographer

The San Diego State women’s basketball team was once again unable to put together a strong second half against Colorado State University and left Moby Arena with a loss of 65-42 last Saturday.

The second half was an offensive nightmare for SDSU (9-15, 6-7 Mountain West) as every shot was contested by the stingy Rams’ (18-6, 10-3 MW) defense that limited the road team to 13 points, a season-low for the Aztecs, on 28.6-percent shooting. A lack of production can be traced to going 0-6 from beyond the arc and only three free-throw attempts.

CSU was methodical on the defensive end of the court, forcing SDSU to eat up the entire shot clock. That limited SDSU’s 3-point attempts, which spelled its doom.

SDSU’s frontcourt duo of redshirt-junior forward Erimma Amarikwa and senior forward Khristina Hunter, the linchpins of the Aztec offense, felt the brunt of the Rams’ defense as they were limited to a mere three points between them and combined for five turnovers.

The freshmen guard pair of McKynzie Fort and Lexy Thorderson carried SDSU, tallying 25 of the red-and-black’s 42 points as they were the lone bright spots for what was a rather poor shooting night for the team as a whole.

SDSU was in a great position to take over the game midway through the first half only down 13-12 after a Fort jumper. However, the Rams were able to have their way from the 3-point line the entire first half, draining eight, and continued that success from then on as their next 15 of 25 points were from 3-point land.

A last-second 3-pointer by junior guard Jamie Patrick washed away any momentum the Aztecs built by cutting the lead to single digits, giving the Rams a 38-29 lead heading into the half.

CSU opened the second half scoring the first six points, but SDSU responded with their own 6-0 run with two Fort jumpers and Amarikwa’s only basket of the game, which cut the Rams lead back to single digits, 44-35, with 12:45 left.

From there CSU closed on a 21-7 run and SDSU head coach Stacie Terry’s squad never threatened again. It did not help that the Aztecs committed 10 of their 14 second-half turnovers from that point forward.

The Rams ended the match with five players scoring more than seven points, with senior guard AJ Newton and Patrick topping the double-digit mark. CSU also held a 23-6 edge in points off turnovers.

The Aztecs return to Viejas on Wednesday, Feb. 18, to open the final two-game homestand of the season by playing host to University of New Mexico.

Women’s hoops gets bucked by the Rams