Crime Beat: Suspicious person flinging food and Valentine’s Day calls to 911

by Jamie Ballard, Staff Writer

Suspicious food flinging

On Feb. 13, at 3:50 p.m., the San Diego State Police Department responded to a call near East Commons about a suspicious person taking food out of the trash and throwing it at students. He was also reportedly taking food out of the trash and stacking it next to him.

Police Capt. Josh Mays says that the man was not a student and as such, was told to leave campus as he was impeding and disrupting the educational process.

Valentine’s Day Reports

Police went to check the welfare of a female who was crying and hysterical in Parking Lot X at 8:19 p.m. on Feb. 14. The young lady had no belongings with her besides a cell phone.

Police responded to a report of alcohol poisoning at 11:28 p.m. at the Kappa Delta sorority house. Mays said the student was transported via medics to Alvarado Hospital but did not know her affiliation with the sorority. He said violations of Greek policy are dealt with by the university, not the police department.

At 2:38 a.m., SDSUPD responded to a call about a couple celebrating Valentine’s Day rather loudly outside of Tenochca Residence Hall. The romantic rendezvous was disturbing the peace, and responding officers asked the couple to please take it inside.